Aztecs fall 3-2 to Gaels

One of the best seasons in San Diego State volleyball history came to a close last Thursday as the Aztecs fell to Saint Mary’s in the first round of the NCAA tournament. SDSU left everything on the court as the team battled it out against the Gaels to ultimately lose the fight in five sets (17-25, 23-25, 25-23, 25-22,15-12).

Aztec players gave their best efforts in the loss as junior outside hitter Raegan Shelton led the team with 21 kills, matching her career high. Senior middle blocker Andrea Hannasch and senior libero Kristi finished their college career with a bang as they both had stellar performances.  Hannasch recorded 17 kills, 15 blocks and a service ace, while Jackels ended her career with a strong performance of 21 digs, five assists, and a pair of service aces.

The Lady Aztecs end their season as Mountain West Conference champions with an overall record of 23-8. This was the first time in school history SDSU won the MW title and its first time advancing to the NCAA Tournament since 2001.

Despite the heartbreaking first round loss, the Aztecs have a lot to be proud of. To start off, SDSU went undefeated at home with a perfect 14-0 record at Aztec Court this season. Head coach Deitre Collins-Parker led her team to the best season in school history since the team joined the Mountain West in 1999.

Parker said she was proud of the goals her team accomplished throughout the season.

“We would have liked to have taken a game in the tournament, but so many of our goals were accomplished. Obviously, winning the conference, going undefeated at home, improving our record, all of those things are huge accomplishments,” Parker said.

Parker was named Mountain West Coach of the Year. In addition, four Aztecs were awarded all-conference honors.

Parker said she couldn’t have accomplished the honor without her team and staff.

“It’s such a testament to the staff and the players. It’s a proud moment for me to be able to share with everyone,” Parker said.

In addition to getting a sparkling conference championship ring, sophomore outside hitter Michelle Waber owns the title of MW Newcomer of the Year. This was Waber’s first season in an Aztec uniform after transferring from University of Hawai’i to Montezuma Mesa.

Hannasch and Shelton were both named to the All-Mountain West team for the second year in a row. This marks Hannasch’s third time in her career as part of the all-conference team. Junior setter Johnna Fouch was recognized for her stellar play-making ability with the title of Mountain West Setter of the Year for the second year in a row.

The overwhelming support from Aztec family and fans this season did not go unnoticed. Aztec Court was packed with red and black supporters, especially for the team’s final home game against Nevada.

Parker thanked the fans for all the support this season.

“It was really awesome at our final game; all the sports that came out and supported and all the people that came out and supported as well,” Parker said. “It was our largest crowd of the year and it was an amazing feeling to have so many people there.”

Aztecs fall 3-2 to Gaels