Aztecs take care of Tigers in Big West finale

On a gloomy Saturday afternoon, the No. 8 San Diego State water polo team closed out its Big West Conference schedule with an 8-6 win against the University of the Pacific. The Tigers scored first when freshman two-meter offence Gracie Smith fired a backhanded goal past Aztec freshman goalie Rachel Mitchell. Senior utility Amber Pezzolla responded when she converted a cross-cage shot to put the Aztecs on the board.

The first period of play was close as both teams went goal-for-goal until Pacific’s Smith scored her second backhand goal of the game, giving the Tigers a one-goal advantage going into the second period of play.

Sophomore utility Carina Carballo struck first for SDSU with a redirect goal to even the score at 3-3. Thirty-two seconds later, Pezzolla scored her second goal of the game, converting on a beautiful outside skip-shot. Building on the Aztecs’ momentum, sophomore utility Taelor Moreno capitalized on a breakaway opportunity and beat her defender down the pool to score, putting the Aztecs at a two-goal lead. Pacific didn’t back down after SDSU scored three goals in 45 seconds.

The Tigers found success with their outside shooting by scoring the next three goals of the second period to close out the first half of play with a 6-5 advantage against the Aztecs.

The Aztecs showed their tenacious spirit during the last half of play. Pezzolla set the pace for SDSU by scoring in the opening play of the third period off of a quick inside position move to tie up the game. Less than a minute later, sophomore driver Anique Hermann, who was determined to get on the stat sheet, beat two defenders on the two-meter line to score. On the next offensive possession for the red and black, Hermann threw a cross-pool pass to senior driver Emily Whalen for a goal, putting the Aztecs in the lead by two.

SDSU played exceptional defense in the last half of play, holding the Tigers scoreless in both periods. Three-time All-American Pezzolla recorded a hat trick in the win against Pacific.

The Aztecs finish out their home game schedule when they take on crosstown rival University of California, San Diego in the Harper Cup. The Aztecs own an 11-year reign of the Harper Cup, having won every end-of-season meeting against UCSD. The fight for Harper Cup bragging rights begins at 1
p.m. this Saturday at the
Aztec Aquaplex.