Greek Week showcases talent

04_30_13_News_Greek_cred?Last Thursday, San Diego State’s Greek community on campus celebrated its annual talent show at the Open Air Theatre. The talent show incorporated the ‘90s theme into an entertaining show with acting, dancing and design.

The $20,000 proceeds of this year’s Greek Week were donated to Embrace, an SDSU student organization that helps veterans and homeless individuals in the community and the SDSU Children’s Center. The competition is just one of a series of events held during SDSU’s Greek Week.

Public health senior Jamie Nemrow and political science junior Wiston Rodriguez, who are both part of the Greek Life Activities Board, worked with Student Life & Leadership to organize the event.

“I’m very happy about the event. I feel like the crowd was really in it. I’m really glad to see the results,” Rodriguez said.

The seven teams were judged based on creativity, dancing, crowd involvement and incorporation of theme.

“I think it went really well, this was personally my event that I was the head of, so this was great to see it go smoothly, to see everyone here doing there thing and our emcees were amazing,” Nemrow said.

The Greek talent show is one of the largest events during Greek Week. Throughout Greek Week, the events allow sororities and fraternities to gain point through activities such as collecting cans and selling food. The winner can receive as many as 100 points toward the grand total from participating in the talent show.  This year, the Yellow Team accumulated the most points and was named the winner of Greek Week.

High energy from the crowd was felt throughout the Open Air Theatre. Tension was high and the competition was intense.  Greek students cheered loudly for their teams, singing and dancing along to each performance.

“This year, we’ve been focusing on getting our Greek unity to become even better, so it’s really good to see everyone supporting each other,” Nemrow said. “That’s one of the best parts.”

The Orange Team—comprised of a mix of sororities and fraternities groups—won the competition with its Nickelodeon “Rocket Power” skits, which included ‘90s music, dance numbers and commercials such as the infamous Baby Bottle Pop ads. As a crowd favorite, the Orange Team stole the show with its creativity.

“It’s a really fun event. We get to go out rally up and get people hyped, ” Delta Gamma participant and foods and nutrition junior Keiko Menda said. “We all get really into it with the costumes and dancing.”

Other participants chose from a variety of ‘90s shows including “All That” “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” “Power Rangers,” and “Rugrats.”

This year’s Greek Week held from April 22 to April 28 not only united the various Greek organizations on campus, but also raised awareness and money for two beneficiaries.

Greek Week showcases talent