SDSU defeats USD 3-0, loses 2-1 to No.16 Portland

Jordan Owen, Senior Staff Photographer
Jordan Owen, Senior Staff Photographer

In a game for crosstown bragging rights, San Diego State capitalized at home last Friday against the University of San Diego when the Lady Aztecs defeated the Toreros 3-0.

Junior forward Hannah Keane turned out to be the key playmaker in this game as she scored two of the three of the Aztecs goals. Her first goal ended up being the game-winner at the 18:09 mark in the first half. Junior midfielder Kelsey Booth stole the ball at midfield and passed it between two USD defenders to find Keane, who shot from 10 yards out and scored.

At the 57:12 mark in the second half, senior defender Haley Palmer found Keane, who scored the second goal of the game from 10 yards out once again by finding the upper net.

Coming off a corner kick, senior defender Carli Johnson tacked on the third and final goal for the Aztecs with a header from the right side in traffic. With this win, SDSU extended their regular season home winning streak to 13 games, as well as handing USD their first shutout of the 2013 season.

On Sunday, looking to keep up their winning mentality, the Aztecs faced off against No. 16 University of Portland.

SDSU held control of this match in the first half, outshooting the Pilots 8-7. The Aztecs put themselves on the scoreboard first with a goal from Keane once again, as she scored on a header from five yards out at the 38:37 mark in the first half.

Though the Aztecs held a 1-0 lead at halftime, it quickly disappeared. With just 12 seconds coming out of the first half, the Pilots tied this game up with a goal from senior forward Micaela Capelle.

SDSU continued to press throughout the second half, but it only ended up hurting the Aztecs. Senior midfielder Ellen Parker tacked on the go-ahead goal at the 80:50 mark in this game. By then, it was too late for SDSU to catch up. They dropped this game 2-1, ending their 13-game regular season unbeaten streak.

Next up, the Aztecs will begin Mountain West Conference play as they take on the Fresno State Bulldogs at 7 p.m. on the SDSU Sports Deck this Friday, Sept. 27.