Progressive pope leads the way in new reformation

In the world of Catholicism, homosexuality has never been right. Point blank, without interpretation, the Bible characterizes homosexuality as a sin, and in Catholicism the word of God rules all. Religion dictates the way many peoples live and it has played a major role in my own life. As a firm believer in the Catholic faith, it’s hard to abide by the book when everything in the book is subject to interpretation. For some devout Catholics, the LGBT community represents a ungodly and wrongful way of life.

Religion adapts as those in power see fit, and in the case of the Catholic Church, that means the pope’s interpretations carry a lot of weight. Pope Francis assumed the papacy after the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI, and he has been on a mission that scares many Roman Catholic conservatives. Considering the controversial nature of most church-related policies, it’s astonishing how this pope has publicly come out and made his stances clear. When discussing homosexuals in an interview aboard the papal plane, Pope Francis told reporters, “If they accept the Lord and have goodwill who am I to judge them?”

In the 21st century, it’s commonly believed that religions should be accepting of all. Because of this, the social structure that keeps the Roman Catholic Church afloat will deteriorate if not properly maintained throughout time. There has to be reformation within the church to keep up with the ever-evolving demographics of the 21st century. Many Catholics that I know have grown tired of the outdated and segregated laws of our faith. Still, I believe that the church will not crumble as we redefine our way of thinking. On the contrary, it will thrive.

I want to believe that our God is merciful and accepting, and so do many other members of the LGBT community who believe in Catholicism. During a time when social norms are being defined for generations to come, it’s enlightening and refreshing that the pope is planting seeds of mercy. However, there are people who believe a “gay lobby” and LGBT sentiment is a matter of politics that should be kept out of religion.

“Politics is politics and religion is religion. I do not agree with the pope on a gay lobby and they should keep it out of religious life. For all religions it has always been taboo,” San Diego State marketing junior Saud Alwohaib said.

Social change has presented problems for many religions, and as we evolve into a more mature understanding of each other as human beings we will see that adaptation is not as difficult as it seems.