LGBT-loyal theatre shows range

The Diversionary Theatre is notable for being a major playhouse in San Diego targeted towards the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. While the stories on its stage focus or feature gay characters, many of the productions deal with universal themes that will appeal to straight audiences as well. These upcoming events have the potential to be intelligent and raw theatrical experiences.

“Tru”

Nov. 21 – Dec. 21

The end of the 2014 season is a one-man show about “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” and “In Cold Blood” author, Truman Capote (Todd Blakesley). Director Derek Charles Livingston’s new interpretation of the 1989 monodrama features the openly gay writer reflecting on many wild and entertaining events from his past. Several San Diego State alums — including lighting designer Luke Olson, sound designer Kevin Anthenill and faculty member Peter Herman as the costumes and make-up designer — will help bring Capote’s world to life.

“Baby with the Bathwater”

Feb. 26, 2015 – March 29, 2015

Playwright Christopher Durang is best known for his recent Tony-winning comedy, “Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike.” While “Vanya” was a Broadway hit, “Baby with the Bathwater” is a lesser-known work from Durang. The play is a bizarre tale about Helen and John Dingleberry, a couple with a young baby. Although they do not know the sex of their child, the two of them believe their kid, Daisy, is a girl. This leads to unusual consequences for Helen and John’s child when Daisy is revealed to be a male. The staging of Durang’s work might be a strange and very funny way to kick off the 2015 season.

“A New Brain”

May 21, 2015 – June 21, 2015

“A New Brain” is a humorous musical with a bold premise. William Finn and James Lapine’s book revolves around Gordon Schwinn, a homosexual composer who finds out he is suffering from arteriovenous malformation. The plot is loosely inspired by Finn’s own experiences with a brain AVM. Fortunately, Finn survived surgery and he co-wrote the book and created the musical numbers to “A New Brain” after that dark period in his life. Director Kim Strassburger is responsible for staging this hopeful and inspiring version of the original piece.

David Dixon
David Dixon, Staff Writer
Since, 2005, when he became a writer for the now defunct Rated G column at the San Diego Union Tribune, David Dixon has been writing theatre and film reviews, interviews, covering Comic-Con, and other entertainment related stories, for numerous papers and websites. In addition to his experience as the Entertainment Editor of San Diego State University's The Daily Aztec, in 2014 he won First and Second Place in College Print: Reviews from the San Diego Press Club Excellence in Journalism Awards, and in 2013 he was awarded First and Third Place. Currently, David is a staff writer for TDA, a contributor for sandiegostory.com and a freelance writer for the San Diego Community News Network.
LGBT-loyal theatre shows range