USD team outlasts Aztecs

volleyball

The San Diego State women’s volleyball team was riding a four game winning streak, which might have been one of many reasons why Tuesday was a tough night for the Aztecs. The team traveled across the Interstate 8 to face the No. 16 University of San Diego Toreros in USD’s Jenny Craig Pavilion.

SDSU got off to a rocky start. The first set ended with a team total of only four kills. As a result, the girls lost the first set 25-13.

The second and third sets looked promising for the Aztecs. Junior middle blocker Andrea Hannasch and sophomore middle blocker Emily Harris were able to put some spark back into the game, with a combined total of 14 kills and nine digs.

Sophomore setter Johnna Fouch was a chief contributor to the back-to-back set wins, supplying 30 overall assists in the game. SDSU grasped the second set from USD 25-13, and pulled through with another victory in the third set as well, 25-20.

Set number four changed the game. The Aztecs held the lead for a brief amount of time, and appeared to be on their way to another victory.

Even though SDSU gave its best effort to extend its recent winning streak, the Toreros took the fourth set from SDSU with 12 kills, numerous digs and few defensive errors, by a final score of 25-18.

USD continued its momentum from the previous set into the fifth and final set, grasping the lead right away 7-0. It was difficult for the Aztecs to recover from such a deficit, so the Toreros took the fifth set and won 15-4.

USD has been unstoppable thus far into the season, its record now 21-1, while SDSU still stands strong at 12-6.

Next up for the Aztecs will be against Mountain West Conference foe UNLV at 6 p.m. tomorrow in Peterson Gym. The game will also be televised live on The Mtn.

USD team outlasts Aztecs