STUDY ABROAD 2010: Studying with Gilman

Courtesy of Grecia Saavedra

Some might say that studying abroad is a great opportunity to party and travel. Others might tell you it is an amazing opportunity to learn. Last semester I studied abroad, and I can tell you, it is something you cannot fully understand until you experience it.

I studied in Madrid for five months. During my time there, I went to school and lived in residence halls with mostly Spanish people. It was an unforgettable experience that exceeded my expectations. Although I partied, traveled and learned, there was much more to it. I learned more about life in those five months than in the past four years. It really is an experience that opens your eyes and your mind to what is out there: the world.

I met people from different places who taught me a lot. These people come from a different culture, and they can turn an ordinary day into a memorable one. I also learned how to solve all kinds of problems on my own, because living in a different country by yourself is so much different than living in your hometown by yourself. It is harder because not only are you on your own, you also have to understand a different culture in which things operate in a completely different way. For example, school registration was so much harder than adding courses through the Internet. I had to physically go to school every day to request courses, talk to several people and make sure I got them. It is not difficult, just different, and I am grateful that I had the opportunity to be a part of a completely unfamiliar culture.

This is what I value the most from my semester abroad 8212; the experience of being a part of something that is so different. The Spanish people have very different habits and traditions, and it was really interesting to learn to live with them.

As soon as I arrived, I noticed the difference. One thing I noticed my first night in Madrid was that people in Spain walk everywhere. In America, we are used to getting in our cars and driving to wherever we need to go. We can also take a taxi or the bus. Of course people in Spain have this transportation, but to them, it’s just easier to walk. The first few days I really missed my car, especially when I was wearing high heels, but now I miss walking around such a beautiful city.

Food is another big difference. In Spain, pork is everywhere, even in the chips. I love spicy food, and to my surprise, this is something Spanish people don’t like at all. Additionally, food portions in Europe are so much smaller than the ones we have in America and I had a much healthier diet during these months. Food was definitely the biggest adjustment, but I eventually grew to love Spain’s famous “jamón serrano.” Even going grocery shopping was a whole new experience. Every day was a new adventure.

What people may also tell you is that studying abroad is too expensive. They say getting enough money is too hard or even impossible &- I can tell you this is not true. When I decided I wanted to travel, I knew my parents’ money and my money wouldn’t be enough. I began to look for scholarships, and I discovered there are many that are specifically directed toward studying abroad.

The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program offers grants for U.S. citizen undergraduate students who are planning to study abroad. The application process consists of submitting an application, transcripts and two essays. Although it may be time-consuming, it is easily accomplished and well worth the benefits. This scholarship is what gave me the opportunity to live and learn in Spain.

Another scholarship that made it possible for me to study abroad is the Associated Students Study Abroad Scholarship. A percentage of the student activity fee from San Diego State students is used for this scholarship; therefore every SDSU student has the chance to earn it. The application for this scholarship also requires an essay, and like any other scholarship, it is competitive.

Unfortunately, students sometimes think that their GPA isn’t high enough, or that their essay isn’t good enough. The truth is, nothing is lost by applying. All I can say is that no matter how hard it seems, it is definitely worth a try.

8212;Grecia Saavedra is a marketing junior.

8212;This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Daily Aztec.

STUDY ABROAD 2010: Studying with Gilman