Felix BBQ serves up casual elegance to North County

Jordan Owen, Staff Photographer

San Diego has a new soul food restaurant and it’s nothing short of spectacular. Felix BBQ, with Soul in Southeast San Diego, brings a new twist to barbecue called “casual elegance.” The restaurant has all the delight of Southern cooking with the flare of a big-time restaurant.

According to owner Felix Berry, the fusion of casual and elegance was a simple decision.

“If you were to come to my home, I would bring out the best China and try to give the best experience possible,” Berry said. “That’s the true South. It’s not about you—it’s about your fellow man.”

As soon as you walk in, friendly faces greet you. The atmosphere is comfortable and pleasant, just like being with family. Managers Barbara Nadsady and Shawn Barker agree that there’s something special about a soul food restaurant. “We have become a family. It’s a family environment, Southern hospitality served daily.”

The cuisine is some of the best soul food in town. The signature dish is the Alabama Fried Chicken and its signature dessert of peach cobbler and a scoop of ice cream on the side. But Berry said his favorite dish, cornbread and macaroni and cheese hits closer to home.

“Because they are a total collaboration of my mom and myself,” Berry said.

While the term “soul food” is used often, its meaning conjures different emotions in everyone.

“It’s an understanding of preparing a meal out of love and providing a total experience to take them away from the troubles of the day,” Berry said. “That extra flavor and love takes you back to a time to remind you of Mom and the love of family.”

In addition to the excellent cuisine, Felix’s BBQ has a full bar and great wine list. Well drinks are only $5. The bartenders will even create a drink special for those who ask. Barker loves to experiment with different drinks.

“I’m experimenting right now with a barbecue bloody mary,” he said. “It’s pretty good.”

To top off the fantastic dining experience, Felix’s BBQ has live music every Thursday and Friday evening. The band plays everything from funk and soul to contemporary R&B.

“Jazz has a history,” Berry said. “It’s an evolutional journey of music and it stays relevant to those who are free-minded enough to embrace it.”

Felix’s BBQ is very family oriented and kid-friendly. For those who care to dine in an alcohol-free restaurant, its North County location has no bar.

At Felix’s BBQ, service is top-notch. From the host, to the waiters and especially the managers, there is no denying the friendly Southern hospitality. Nadsady believes this standard is a priority. “Service has to be the highest quality. It’s all about the guest,” she said.

This restaurant is the second in the Felix’s BBQ chain. The first barbecue opened in North County in August 2008. Since then, Felix’s BBQ has been a huge hit, impressing patrons throughout San Diego County.

Guests can rent out the location for parties and events. Felix’s BBQ is making a solid effort to extend the restaurant to the community.

“We’re here for the community,” Barker said. “We want it to be their home too.”

In addition to parties the restaurant also works with different elementary schools in the Southeast San Diego area, exemplifying its passion for giving back to the community.

Felix’s BBQ is a restaurant full of fun, class and elegance. With its fantastic staff and delectable cuisine, this restaurant is soon to become a San Diego hotspot.