Spring break cruises to take on a budget

Sam Sparhawk / Staff Photographer
Sam Sparhawk / Staff Photographer

With spring break just around the corner, students are starting to dream of tropical landscapes and lazy days lounging on vacation. While the usual hot spots such as Las Vegas and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico are always popular choices for Aztecs, an alternative vacation option beckons. This spring break, ditch the desert and sail the seas on a cruise.

Those who have experienced a cruise can vouch for its all-inclusive amenities that leave some travelers almost hoping to get lost at sea. Those who haven’t don’t know what they’re missing.

Cruise ships boast some of the best spa treatments, food prepared by world-renowned chefs and fantastic live entertainment. With some featuring onboard water parks, clubs, restaurants and movie theaters, these treats are merely a glimpse into the exciting possibilities on a cruise ship.

Some of these floating cities are approximately 1,000 feet long and offer 14 decks of fun on the high seas. With 24-hour concierge services offered on many ships, there is almost nothing a vacationer will desire that the ship cannot provide.

Prone to seasickness? These massive ships are designed with the easily queasy in mind. With wake minimized, rocky rides are practically nonexistent, and unless they are on the deck staring at the open ocean, passengers may forget they are not at a five-star hotel.

Carnival Cruise Lines is a popular choice for many college students who want to cruise without breaking the bank. Many of Carnival’s ships have recently been renovated to give them a fresh, fun atmosphere that caters to a younger crowd.

There are several fun and affordable Carnival Cruises students can take during break this year.

First-time cruisers looking to test the waters will enjoy a four-day cruise to Baja California, Mexico. Departing from Los Angeles on March 28, the Carnival Paradise travels just off the coast, making stops at Catalina Island and Ensenada, Mexico. Arriving back on April 1, this trip may seem short but it allows plenty of time to discover the hundreds of things to do on a cruise as well as at the ports of call. With prices as low as $300, students will be hard-pressed to find a better deal.

The five-day Baja California cruise is another excellent option for students traveling on spring break with friends. Leaving from the Port of San Diego on March 27, this ship sails to Cabo San Lucas where travelers have two days to relax on the sandy beaches of Mexico before heading back to Southern California on April 1. Staterooms start at just $489 for this five-day adventure.

Want to take full advantage of spring break? The Carnival Splendor offers one of the most popular cruises for West Coasters: a seven-day cruise of the Mexican Riviera. Leaving from the Port of Los Angeles on March 27, the ship stops in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas and returns April 3. Even this incredible voyage is affordable, starting at just $529.

Travelers are provided television, hair dryers, robes, ample closet space and 24-hour stateroom service. These are only a few of the many amenities offered on this ship.

With prices this low, even a student on a budget will have some money left for souvenirs.

Visit www.carnival.com for more information.