MEN’S SOCCER: Late collapse results in OT loss

Brooke Valls / Staff Photographer

By Dan Perez, Senior Staff Writer

The match between the San Diego State men’s soccer team and the University of Washington took 84 minutes to see a goal, but the game finished with a bang: In the last 10 minutes the teams would see three goals.

SDSU (10-6-2) gave up two goals in the last five minutes, including overtime, and Washington handed the Aztecs their first loss in five games and ended their undefeated streak at four games.

SDSU struck first in the 84th minute as freshman forward Miles Byass fired a shot on goal that the Husky goalkeeper blocked. Byass jumped on the rebound and finished the play with the match’s first goal. The goal is Byass’ fourth in the past four games.

Washington did not give up and answered with less than 90 seconds left in the game as the Huskies turned a scramble in front of the net into a score to force overtime. The overtime period on Sunday is the ninth time the two teams have needed extra time to decide a game between them in the 12 times they’ve met since 2005.

Washington scored the game-winner in the fourth minute of overtime as a header off a cross beat redshirt senior goalkeeper Brad Byrns to end the game and finish the weekend road trip for the Aztecs 1-1.

On Friday, SDSU played against Oregon State in what is close to an exact opposite of the game against the Huskies. The Aztecs scored just one minute and four seconds into the game against OSU and the goal would turn out to be the game-winner.

Brooke Valls / Staff Photographer

Sophomore midfielder Jose Altamirano started the play by taking the ball from a Beaver defender then taking a pass from senior tri-captain forward Raymundo Reza and fired a shot that beat the OSU goalkeeper.

The Beavers never had a chance as the SDSU defense held them to only three shots and Byrns only needed to block one attempt.