Super Bowl halftime show salutes illustrious west coast rap heritage

Screenshot courtesy of Snoop Dogg’s Instagram
As stylish as ever, Snoop Dogg dressed in blue and yellow, resembling the colors of the LA Rams’ uniforms.

Hip-hop and R&B took center stage at the 2022 Super Bowl halftime show with unforgettable performances from Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Kendrick Lamar, Eminem, and Mary J. Blige. Their performances paid homage to the extensive history and culture of California’s West Coast rap scene.

Dre kicked off the halftime show with a captivating performance of “The Next Episode,” which included Snoop effortlessly c-walking onto the stage. The two California rappers dominated the stage with their throwback hit, even paying tribute to Tupac Shakur’s song “California Love.”

“California Love” perfectly resonated with Los Angeles Rams fans later that evening, with a 23-20 win against the Cincinnati Bengals in their home state. 

Following this performance, a surprise appearance by an upside-down 50 Cent left the audience in shock and disbelief. Of course, this moment went viral on social media with viewers quick to compare him to Spiderman.

However, 50 Cent’s upside-down stance directly referenced his 2003 “In Da Club” music video, which is famously known as a birthday anthem. Though his performance was short-lived, people had plenty to talk about during his brief appearance on stage.

Transitioning from 50 Cent’s performance, Mary J. Blige wowed viewers with her white crystalized bodysuit and thigh-high boots. Blige enthusiastically performed her hit song “Family Affair” until she swiftly moved into performing her emotional ballad, “No More Drama.”

This song appeared to be out of place since it disrupted the crowd’s party-like momentum. But regardless of the song choice, Blige’s powerful voice was still enjoyable to listen to.

Following Blige, Lamar performed “m.A.A.d city” with a synchronized group of dancers dressed in black suits and Dre Day sashes. The camera work was meticulously planned to capture Lamar and his dancers from a variety of angles. He later ended his performance with his politically charged song, “Alright.”

It was a surprise that Lamar performed a couple of his older hits, rather than any songs from his 2017 album “DAMN.” Nevertheless, the songs he chose were still iconic enough to overlook this occurrence.

Finally, Eminem took the stage and rapped some lines from “Forgot About Dre,” which elicited a roaring applause from the crowd. An immediate transition to “Lose Yourself” sent the crowd into a frenzy. In his lengthy performance, Eminem was backed on the drums by Anderson Paak.

Towards the end of his performance, Eminem took a knee on stage in honor of former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who knelt in protest of racial injustice and police brutality in 2016. This was by far the most controversial moment in this year’s halftime show.

As Eminem knelt on stage, Dre played the keys of “Still Dre” on the piano. Snoop rejoined Dre on stage, and eventually, all the other artists gathered to perform the last song.

This year’s Super Bowl halftime show was definitely one for the books. The performances from these legendary artists not only highlighted hip-hop’s west coast heritage from past to present, but allowed the genre to thrive on sports’ biggest stage for the first time.

Jazlyn Dieguez
Jazlyn Dieguez, '23-24 Social Media Editor
Jazlyn Dieguez (she/her/hers) is a fourth-year journalism major minoring in creative editing and publishing from Salinas, California. She possesses a strong drive to pursue a career in the entertainment industry, showcasing her talents across various mediums including social media, broadcasting and writing. Prior to assuming the role of social media editor for The Daily Aztec, Dieguez served as a staff writer for The Daily Aztec's Arts and Culture section and held the position of vice president of writing & copy for The Look Magazine, SDSU's first student-run arts, fashion and culture publication. Currently, Dieguez has taken on the responsibilities of vice president for SDSU's Society of Professional Journalists chapter and social media editor for SDSU's National Association of Hispanic Journalists chapter. Apart from her academic pursuits, Dieguez enjoys binge-watching TV shows, discovering new music, traveling to new locations and staying up-to-date with the latest trends in fashion.