Tale of the Tape: Aztecs set to battle the Creighton Bluejays in the round of 64

Noelani Sapla
(From left to right) Aguek Arop, Trey Pulliam, Matt Bradley and Lamont Butler during the 2021-2022 Mountain West Tournament.

Following the one-point loss in the Mountain West Conference championship to Boise State on Saturday, head coach Brian Dutcher made clear what “the ultimate goal” still was. 

“We came here all these years ago and we still preach the message, we’re here to play for a national championship, we’re here to play for a national championship,” Dutcher said. 

The first step to playing for that NCAA championship comes Thursday as the 8-seed Aztecs (23-8, 13-4 MWC) have a date with the 9-seed Creighton Bluejays (22-11, 12-7 Big East).

Creighton finished fourth in the Big East this season with impressive wins over Villanova, UConn (twice) and Providence. Like the Aztecs, the Bluejays hang their hat on the defensive side of the ball behind 7-foot-1-inch sophomore center Ryan Kalkbrenner and senior power forward Ryan Hawkins. Kalkbrenner and Hawkins also lead Creighton in scoring with marks of 13.0 PPG and 13.9 PPG respectively. 

For the Aztecs to find success in their first-round matchup, they will have to do what they’ve done all season — defend. The Bluejays are a relatively inexperienced team as four of their top 6 scorers are freshmen. This has led to inconsistent offense play and 14.1 turnovers per game. 

Senior Nathan Mensah will have his hands full down low with Kalkbrenner, but if Mensah — the Mountain West’s Defensive Player of the Year — can hold his own and stay out of foul trouble, the Aztecs should be in a good position to leave the first round with a win. 

If the Aztecs can protect the paint against Creighton’s frontline and force turnovers in the half-court, a sometimes inconsistent SDSU offense can find some easy baskets in transition, something they failed to find in last year’s tournament in their 78-62 loss to Syracuse. 

SDSU is 3-4 all-time against the Bluejays. However, their most recent matchup came in 2019 in the semifinal of the Las Vegas Invitational where the Aztecs throttled Creighton winning 83-52. Five current Aztec players played in the last matchup including Mensah, seniors Trey Pulliam, Aguek Arop, Adam Seiko and junior Keshad Johnson. 

If the Aztecs can get by the Bluejays, it likely sets up a matchup with the Midwest Region 1 seed Kansas,  barring a dramatic upset by the winner of the First Four matchup between Texas Southern and Texas A&M Corpus-Christi. 

The tournament is always unpredictable but with the second-best defense in the nation, the Aztecs have a good chance of making a deep run. Regardless, this year’s tournament is sure to be madness.

Justin Cox
Justin Cox, '22-23 Sports Editor
Justin Cox (he/him) is a senior journalism major from Sonoma, California. He is excited to be a Co-Sports Editor of The Daily Aztec for the 2022-23 academic year. Previously, Cox was a sports section staff writer covering a multitude of Aztec sports including basketball, water polo, soccer and tennis. He is excited to head the sports section alongside Co-Editor Morgan Prickett with the hopes of providing fresh and engaging content for the student body. Before coming to The Daily Aztec, Cox spent time as an intern for the Sonoma Index-Tribune covering local news and was also published in the Sonoma Sun newspaper. Cox can often be found watching sports, running or going to the beach in his free time. 
Noelani Sapla
Noelani Sapla, Staff Photographer, '21-22 Photo Editor
Born and raised in San Diego, Noelani is a graduate student at San Diego State University working towards a masters degree in education. She joined the Daily Aztec staff as the photo editor for the 2021-2022 year, and is currently a staff photographer. She credits the Daily Aztec for the experience and opportunities to cover the NCAA tournament in Houston where the men's basketball team played in the national championship game. While having a degree in education and teaching, Noelani's dream is to become a professional sports photographer.