Creepin’ it reel (again) with spooky flicks to binge until Halloween

Six more spooky flicks to add to your October plans
Sumaia Wegner
Photo courtesy of New Line Cinema.

It (2017)

Hollywood’s barrage of horror reboots and sequels are likely to elicit a collective groan from movie fans (and rightfully so), but this remake got it right. Andy Muschietti’s “It” revisits everyone’s favorite killer clown from Derry, Maine and succeeds in heightening the drama and laughs. Bill Skarsgård gives a terrifying performance as Pennywise, and the ensemble cast brings plenty of youthful energy and humor to the story. The film also excels in its attention to detail, from the color of Pennywise’s shifting eyes to the meticulous recreation of the original’s iconic opening scene. “It” is a memorable and worthwhile visit into Stephen King’s twisted mind. More remakes like these, please!

Ready or Not (2019)

Filled with the best horror clichés and a bizarre angle on Satanic worship, Matt Bettinelli-Oplin and Tyler Gillett’s “Ready or Not” is a must-see for the Halloween season! The film follows a woman named Grace who marries into the wealthy Le Domas family. They’re renowned for their board games, but Grace draws the wrong card during the wedding night initiation and must play a deadly round of Hide-and-Seek. “Ready or Not” is a cult classic in the making with its gore, perfectly timed comedic moments and intriguing commentary on classicism. If you’re a fan of horror films that leave you staring at your television for a few minutes afterward, “Ready or Not” is perfect for you!

Photo courtesy of Kazak Productions.

Titane (2021) 

From casual nudity to portraying the horrors of pregnancy, Julia Ducournau’s “Titane” doesn’t shy away from showing the mutilation of bodies, but rather leans into the moment. An example of this includes one scene that depicts the main character’s inner struggle and many attempts to break their nose. This scene goes on for what feels like hours while remaining entirely captivating, causing viewers to stare at the screen as if they’re right there in the bathroom next to them. The intensity of these scenes might be a turn-off for some, but for horror fans who are tired of predictable jumpscares or overused paranormal stories, “Titane” is surely not going to disappoint!

Photo courtesy of Carolco Pictures.

Jacob’s Ladder (1990)

Fans of the video game franchises “Silent Hill” and “Resident Evil” will instantly recognize the influence that the 1990 movie “Jacob’s Ladder” has had on these games. Starring actor Tim Robbins as Jacob Singer, a Vietnam veteran plagued by hallucinations and nightmares caused by his experience in the war, the film immerses viewers in his distorted mind. The film blurs the line between the present and Jacob’s traumatic past on the battlefield, creating an extremely unsettling and anxiety-inducing atmosphere. 

The movie doesn’t rely on cheap jump scares, however… Instead, the film makes use of claustrophobic spaces and jerky cinematography to keep the viewer in the same constant state of severe anxiety that Jacob experiences. The film’s conclusion will make you ponder the nuances of warfare and humanity; there is no doubt that this film will stay with you for a long time. 

Photo courtesy of Tim Burton Productions.

Corpse bride (2005) 

Historically Halloween movies cater to those who adore horror and gore, with the alternative being cutesy Halloween movies usually written for families. Tim Burton’s “Corpse Bride” defies this trend. The film sets the tone for the holiday with Burton’s signature beautiful, yet spooky animation style. Set in the Victorian era, the film follows the accidental marriage of Victor  (Johnny Depp) and a corpse girl named Emily (Helena Bonham). The film is an emotional rollercoaster that contrasts the dead and the living. “Corpse Bride” revisits the original meaning behind Halloween by reminding us that it is meant to intertwine the spirit world with our own. The unconventional Halloween film serves as a refreshing take on the eerie holiday.

Photo courtesy of Warner Premiere.

Trick ‘r Treat (2007) 

Move over Michael Myers, “Trick ’r Treat” is the new definitive horror movie for the Halloween season. The film has taken on a cult status since its direct-to-DVD release, and deservedly so. Directed by Michael Dougherty, the seasonal classic interweaves five tales of Halloween-centered horror set on Halloween night. All of the stories follow the celebration of Halloween and the devilish punishment placed on those who break its rules. “Trick ‘r Treat” doesn’t just take place during halloween: it’s about Halloween, embracing its unabashed love for the scary time of the year with a setting that puts you in a spooky mood fitting for the season.

Noah Lyons, '23-24 Opinion Editor
Noah Lyons (he/him) is a Journalism major and transfer student from Irvine, California. Ever since he was young, he loved to tell stories and dive deep into his favorite subjects — sports, music, current events, and film. He joined the Daily Aztec in 2022, and has since covered the Wonderfront and Rolling Loud music festivals, attended advanced movie screenings and interviewed several musicians. When he isn't doing homework until midnight or writing articles, you can expect to see Noah searching for the best California burritos that San Diego has to offer or walking around campus listening to Bleachers and Paramore.
Madison McGill
Madison McGill, Staff Writer
Madison McGill (she/her/hers) is a fourth-year journalism major from San Diego, California. Madison started out at The Daily Aztec in the Arts & Culture section writing album reviews, but she quickly discovered her love for covering campus news and her all-consuming opinions. Currently, she’s writing about fashion and beauty for an online magazine called Vanity Stories. When she’s not researching and interviewing for her newest work, Madison loves to dance around to music from her niche playlists and watch way too many films.
Eugenie Budnik
Eugenie Budnik, '23-24 News Editor
Eugenie Budnik is a senior studying journalism and advertising. As an ex-military child, Eugenie spent time growing up in Japan, England, Colorado and San Diego. Eugenie joined The Daily Aztec in 2021, when she was originally an elementary education major. Eugenie's time spent reporting on news for The Daily Aztec developed her love and passion for journalism, ultimately leading her to change her major. Since then, Eugenie has written over 40 pieces for The Daily Aztec and is now the news editor. Outside of her work, you can find Eugenie jamming out to Taylor Swift, reading, or scrolling through Tik Tok.
Roman Aguilar
Roman Aguilar, '23 -24 Sports Editor
Roman Aguilar (he/him/his) is a second-year journalism major with an emphasis in public relations from Stockton, California. Since he was little, he loved watching sports and being able to tell a good story out of an exciting game matchup. He joined the Daily Aztec in 2022 as a contributor and staff writer for the sports section, covering a multitude of sports including football, men's basketball, and water polo, before moving on to sports editor. Aguilar is also a blog writer for KCR College Radio, attending concerts and having the opportunity to cover shows and interview artists. When he isn't writing articles related to music or sports, you can see Roman going to local concert shows on a near-weekly basis and watching his favorite horror movies.
Sumaia Wegner, '23-24 Managing Editor
Originally from Santa Clarita, California, Sumaia Wegner is a is a double major, studying Journalism and Communication.  She started as a staff writer for The Daily Aztec, then became Arts and Culture Editor, and is now the current Managing Editor. Aside from her leadership role, Sumaia is also a reporter for the men's basketball team. Last year she covered the Mountain West Championship as well as the NCAA Championship. Sumaia is the president of the Asian American Journalists Association (SDSU Chapter) as well as the vice president of Culture and Diversity for SDSU's College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts. She started her career as a journalist while she was traveling abroad in Bangladesh, where she was a writer for The Independent newspaper. She wrote for the “Youth and Independent” section focusing on narratives that evaluated eastern and western cultures. Sumaia has received the following awards for The Daily Aztec: "The Inspirer," "Quest for Excellence," and "Best Section."