Ask an Aztec: Investigating A.S. voting statistics with student voices

A.S. elections are coming up for SDSU and student involvement continues to lag behind 20%
Callum Wilson
Students from San Diego State University pose for headshots across campus on March 5, 2024.

Frida Sanchez, a second-year marketing major:

“I think someone approached me about it and that was how I heard about it and then I don’t think I ever received an email about it.” 

Although Sanchez hasn’t voted in the past, she plans to do so now that she knows about it.

Mathew Lorenzen, a second-year civil engineering major:

“The current president (Tarek Morsy) came to my fraternity and was talking to us and got us to vote for him so I did.” 

Lorenzen said he intends to participate in the upcoming elections as well

(From left to right) Samantha Dollete, a third-year marketing major: 

“I just got here so I didn’t know that they even had voting elections.” 

Samantha Dollete said she would participate in the elections if she had more information.

Taylor Ochoa, a fourth-year financial services major:

“Possibly, I’m graduating in May so I’m not for sure. But I might,” Ochoa said. 

Taylor Ochoa participated in past elections due to a campaign at her sorority chapter. However, she is undecided on whether she will vote in the upcoming election.

Interviews conducted by Nicole Hayek with photography by Callum Wilson.

Callum Wilson
Callum Wilson, Staff Writer
Callum Wilson (he/him/his) is an 18-year-old journalism major switching to international security conflict resolution. He is originally from a small college town in the middle of Kansas called Manhattan. At six years old he moved to Kansas City where he spent the next six years of his life. In the summer of 2016, he moved to San Diego where he graduated from high school. He did one year at his school’s paper before participating in The San Diego Union-Tribune Community Scholars Program during the summer of 2022. He has an older brother who recently graduated from UCLA. When he isn’t taking photos he is watching soccer, the NFL, and the MLB. Callum religiously supports Kansas City sports, Tottenham Hotspur in the Premier League, and the local men's team San Diego Loyal.