SDSU awaits exhibition

It’s been more than seven months since the San Diego State men’s basketball team has played a game.

Players are anxious to get on the court and so are the fans, who have sold out tonight’s exhibition game against Cal State San Marcos.

It will be the first chance for fans to catch the team’s new look. SDSU lost four starters from last season’s team and figures to be guard oriented this season.

The two exhibition games, the other next Monday against Point Loma Nazarene, will help head coach Steve Fisher prepare his team for the start of regular season-games on Nov. 11.

The coach is ready to see his team perform under the lights of Viejas Arena.

“I’m looking forward to putting a crowd in and seeing how we perform with people watching,” Fisher said. “It’s an exciting time for us, a little bit nervous still.”

Fisher is nervous because of the team’s lack of depth this season.

The team only has nine scholarship players who can take the court this season and that number just took a hit.

Sophomore guard Jamaal Franklin has been suspended for the two exhibition games and possibly more. According to The San Diego Union-Tribune, Franklin was suspended for “inappropriate behavior.”

Because of Franklin’s suspension, the team will enter its first exhibition game with only eight players. Fisher joked about the low number of players at a press conference yesterday.

“We have eight scholarship players that will be playing tomorrow,” Fisher said. “So I’m going to have to have a talk with the officials before the game to make sure we don’t have to ask for six fouls.”

No matter the amount of players, Fisher will have the Aztecs ready when they finally take court tonight and tip off the 2011-12 season.

SDSU awaits exhibition