DA STYLE: The Daily Aztec’s new fashion blog

Trends and style on campus step into spotlight

By Venice Fahey and Sarah Weinberg, Bloggers

Being trendy in college –we know it can seem like a bit of an oxymoron sometimes. 8 a.m. lectures, long stays in the library and empty wallets aren’t exactly conducive to staying stylish. Nonetheless, we style-savvy students continue to put that little extra effort into our entire look each morning. And whether you’re doing it for your cute partner in bio lab, for an important interview, or just for yourself, we want you all to know just how fabulous and fashionable you are.

With the Daily Aztec’s new style blog, you’ll be able to view, admire, and copy all of the latest trends being seen on campus with posts brought to you by CollegeFashionista.com’s SDSU Style Gurus. Find out what Amy Levin, founder of CollegeFashionista.com, had to say about the site and fashion in general.

Why did you decide to start CollegeFashionista?

After studying abroad in London and being exposed to the world of trend reporting in major cities, I felt there was a need for capturing looks on the street at college campuses. I originally starting a blog solely focused on street style fashion at Indiana University and after my friends begged me to expand to their campuses, I decided to take my small blog and turn it into a college fashion Web site. The college market at that time was underestimated and there weren’t any college fashion Web sites that were popular. I personally wanted to read a Sartorialist-esque college site and thought others would enjoy it too!

How is CollegeFashionista different from other street-style blogs?

CollegeFashionista focuses on street style looks seen only at college campuses. Readers can tune into the site to view their friends’ and classmates’ wardrobes and see what other students are wearing at different campuses.

As a blogger for CollegeFashionista yourself, do you gather inspiration from other fashion blogs?

I definitely do. A major favorite of mine is obviously The Sartorialist. And I love The Selby and how he showcases the influence of people’s homes on their lifestyle choices. I also gain inspiration from traveling and learning about other cultures and how fashion differs from place to place.

What is your advice on staying stylish in college?

Get creative and figure out ways to DIY and make looks for less. Also, vintage shop –there are always local vintage stores around college campuses so utilize these boutiques to find your Saturday evening outfit for five dollars.

What should Fashionistas be looking forward to this fall?

A revert back to minimalism. I can’t wait to be wrapped up in a classic camel cocoon coat, trousers and an oversized turtleneck sweater. I think less is more this fall!

Excited to see what SDSU’s most stylish students are wearing?

Every week we’ll be bringing you pictures of the best Fashionistas and Fashionistos roaming our campus. Dress the part, you could be next.

Style on,

Sarah and Venice

Check out the blog when it goes live on Oct. 6!