PASS THE POPCORN: New ?Wall Street? marks the return of greed

After 23 years, director Oliver Stone has finally released a sequel to his 1987 film, “Wall Street.”

“Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps” reveals the emotions and intensities going on in the financial investment world. From the chaos on the stock market floor to discussions behind closed doors, the film depicts both the good and the bad of the business.

In this sequel, Michael Douglas reprises the role of Gordon Gekko, the character who won him an Academy Award for Best Actor in 1987.

While Charlie Sheen’s Bud Fox is no longer the main character, he does make a special appearance. Instead, “Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps” features multiple new actors and actresses, including Shia LaBeouf (“Transformers”), Carey Mulligan (“An Education”), Josh Brolin (“Jonah Hex”), Susan Sarandon (“The Lovely Bones”) and Vanessa Ferlito (“Nothing Like The Holidays”).

The sequel follows the life of Jacob Moore (LaBeouf), a young trader who is desperate to find out who or what was responsible for the death of his mentor.

As Jacob seeks revenge and attempts to find ways to solve the financial crisis, he ends up seeking Gordon for help.

Gordon, recently released from prison, has his own plans as well. He wants to rebuild his reputation and regain the success he once had. He also wants to reconcile his relationship with his estranged daughter, Winnie (Mulligan), who is engaged to Jacob.

Jacob and Gordon soon begin trading with each other. While Gordon tries to provide Jake with information regarding the ins and outs of the business, Jake agrees to help him improve his relationship with Winnie.

Meanwhile, Bretton James (Brolin), the owner of a private investment bank, hires Jacob to expand his wealth. Despite his financial knowledge, Bretton does not realize Jacob is using him for his own personal gain.

Some terms used in the film to depict the financial world might confuse viewers who do not know anything about investment. However, the vocabulary gives the audience a general idea of the different aspects of life on Wall Street. The portrayal of late night discussions between the government and the private banks shows how strategies are used to manipulate the market and uncovers the conflicts that transpire among the powerful.

Even with all the talk of greed and money, the film manages to include a sense of emotion by paying attention to the relationships between the characters, especially between Jacob and Winnie.

Being the daughter of a financial criminal, Winnie dislikes everything that involves money and tries to protect her relationship with Jacob from being ruined by her father.

Whether or not audiences have seen the first film, “Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps” is worth watching to get an inside look at the financial world.