FEELING TRUTH AT YOU: SDSU budget solution: FWS

A recent analysis of government data by the Center for College Affordability and Productivity, published in The New York Times, found that colleges and universities have, on average, doubled their full-time support staff even though enrollment has only increased by about 40 percent. The experts did not suggest the increase in support staff 8212; which does not include professors 8212; was directly responsible for the dramatic increases in tuition, but it’s not unreasonable to conclude that it had an impact, likely a major one.

San Diego State needs to learn from this study’s findings and make the best of it. If we need more support staff, the most cost-effective and beneficial way to do it is by increasing the number of students on work study. There are plenty of examples of it working out well for both parties, such as the story in another New York Times article that discusses the life of a Northeastern University student as she participates in a FWS program. Anna Rice receives roughly $10 per hour and works about 10 hours per week at the front desk of a residence hall. She earns about $1,250 per semester, which applies to her tuition and related expenses.

Just imagine being able to work 10 hours per week and pay for $1,250 of your tuition 8212; that’s more than half of SDSU’s current semester rate. This would alleviate a great amount of stress for students and the university saves money by employing cheaper labor. Pat Callan, president of the National Center for Public Policy and Higher Education, said that, “At a time when we’re trying to do something to hold down tuition increases … this gives us a pretty good clue to where we ought to be looking.”

Another advantage to FWS is that the university does not pay all of the wages the student earns. Instead, the university splits the cost with the federal government, further reducing the university’s out-of-pocket expenses. This plan lines up well with President Barack Obama’s stimulus package. He has already begun implementing his education agenda and increased funding for schools. This is one way the money would be put to work. I’d rather see the money being paid to a student to cover their education than to support staff workers.

Students at SDSU have already seen aggressive cuts that affect academic quality. If registering for classes this semester was worse than ever for you, it’s because budget problems have caused class selection to be cut roughly in half, and many part-time instructors were let go. With this cut in the price of university workers, SDSU would not have to lay off part-time professors, which means part-time professors could come back and, on a personal note, I would no longer be obligated to take classes at 8 a.m. because I have no other choice.

Universities such as SDSU should start to pay attention to these successes. If they really do care about their students, then they have to take action to restore class selection and student aid.
    Either that or leave us students stranded.

8212;T.J. Bronson is a journalism and finance junior.

8212;This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Daily Aztec. Send e-mail to letters@thedailyaztec.com. Anonymous letters will not be printed 8212; include your full name, major and year in school.