OUT AND ABOUT: A celebration of local flavor

Courtesy of Larry Stein

On the second Saturday of every month on the 3800 block of a small street in the North Park neighborhood, galleries and studios open their doors and welcome in the crowds. Ray at Night, which celebrated its ninth anniversary last Saturday, has become a cornerstone in the visual arts community by being one of the longest running monthly events in San Diego.

An eclectic crowd gathered last Saturday to see the many artworks on display, listen to live music and watch hourly dance performances and live studio demonstrations. In addition to formal indoor shows, outdoor venues are set up on Ray Street, attracting both art aficionados and the casual passersby.

“We set aside booths in the street for some artists,” Larry Stein, chairman of the Ray Street Business Association, said. “We even offer discounts for students who want to come and display their work.”

Stein, who has been involved with Ray at Night since 2004, is the owner of Warp 9 Imaging, a photo studio and gallery in the center of the block. “The number of both artists and viewers has increased steadily since I have been involved in Ray at Night, and the attention that the community pays to the visual arts has also been growing.”

One of the most impressive aspects of Ray at Night is the conversion of everyday business and retail spaces into venues for displaying visual art. Insurance offices, skateboard shops, coffee houses and bakeries all join in and contribute to the experience. Ray Street seems to be a unified community fully behind its art community and wants to see it succeed.

Even the City of San Diego has thrown its support behind this remarkable North Park event, allocating $100,000 in Development Block Grants to improve the streetscape of Ray Street, which includes sidewalks and curbs as well as landscaping and maintenance.

Galleries generally swap their shows every month, giving viewers a unique experience every second Saturday year-round. “North Park is such an eclectic area,” Joel Sharp, who owns a gallery on the street, said. “There is such a variety of people. I tend to compare it to SoHo in New York. People feel free to express themselves artistically.”

Although small compared to some communities in large cities, Ray Street in North Park offers the city some unique perspectives on visual art and has established itself as one of the gems in San Diego’s cultural crown.

Ray at Night is every second Saturday in the North Park neighborhood. Most galleries are located on the 3800 block of Ray Street, just off of University Avenue. Booths for artists are $60 or $25 for students.

For more information, e-mail info@rayatnightartwalk.com.