Golden Bears drub Aztecs

SDSU senior pitcher Bailey Micetich allowed four runs and seven hits Saturday. | File Photo

With a staggering eight runs scored in the second inning and an additional four in the fifth, No. 2/1 California (18-0) eased past the San Diego State softball team (15-12) in a 12-0 mercy win on Saturday afternoon at the Bayer CropScience Classic in Fresno.

These early setbacks made it difficult for SDSU to regain the momentum it had started with to come back offensively with hits and runs.

SDSU’s best opportunity to score occurred in the bottom of the first inning when sophomore Hayley Miles, the leadoff batter for the Aztecs, singled to left field. Senior Felicia Reifschneider rallied behind her teammate and bunted the ball for a single. Unfortunately, the Aztecs were unable to capitalize, leaving both batters on base when the inning concluded.

Redshirt junior Rebecca Arbino, who started the game for SDSU took the loss after giving up eight runs (six earned) on two hits, three walks and a hit batter in 1 1/3 innings. Senior Bailey Micetich relieved Arbino and pitched the remainder of the game. She allowed four runs on seven hits, two walks and a hit batter in 3 2/3 innings.

SDSU was shut out for the third time this season and was outhit by Cal, 10-3. In the five innings played, the Aztecs committed three errors.

SDSU concluded the five-game tournament with two wins and three losses.

The Aztecs’ next game is set for 6 p.m. tonight at the SDSU Softball Stadium, where they will host Quinnipiac.

Golden Bears drub Aztecs