Whatever floats your vote

If hate is the great unifier and fear the great controller, ignorance must remain as the great discourager—especially for the upcoming election. Look, I realize most of us grew up around the time P. Diddy launched his 2004 “Vote or Die!” campaign, a laughable attempt to get young people motivated to go out and vote, especially when considering the source was a man so fluid in his decision-making he can’t even settle on a pseudonym. Diddy’s threatening hyperbole missed the mark of what’s required of citizens during an election season. So please, don’t vote just to vote—chances are you won’t die if you abstain. Yes, the sticker from those old folks after you slip your ballot into the box is quite appealing, but it’s incredibly irresponsible to vote without studying potential office holders, propositions and measures.

Our nation loves binaries when deciding where we stand on the big issues. Gay or straight? Life or choice? Liberal or conservative? But, save for this presidential election, choice isn’t usually black or white. There’s an entire spectrum of gray areas—those mottled, in-between beliefs and opinions that aren’t readily given because they are inherently difficult to define. Think of all the times a friend has been called out for their political beliefs. More likely than not, no matter how socialist or traditionalist they are, they’ll say, “Actually I’m somewhere in between right or left. I don’t like having to choose a side. I’m moderate.”

We live in a country where reality isn’t easily accepted. Take sports, for instance, the great indicator of delusional thinking.

As an Oakland Raiders fan, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve wandered around public places with my Raiders cap on during the off-season and had strangers introduce themselves with a hearty, “This year’s gonna be our year!” I can’t help but wonder what team they’ve been watching since 2002, because it sure isn’t the same terrible team I’ve been watching. If we have a good season by the end of the decade, I’ll die of shock. But that’s my point: there’s too much personal bias in our beliefs, which skew rationality so much “reason” becomes unrecognizable.

What’s more shocking to me when discussing politics with other millennials (a generation characterized by coming-of-age during the explosion of the Internet) is how they view the whole election process. They’re either terrifyingly apathetic or irritatingly eager to wax on about the dangers of certain agendas, which unsurprisingly don’t match up with their own. It’s either, “Please don’t vote for that guy” or “I’m disgusted the Lakers are winless so far” Everyone’s got an answer to everyone else’s problems, but never an answer for their own.

One of the main signifiers for our generation is narcissism. We believe we are worthy of the highest positions in everything we do, not because of our qualifications, but because we’ve been told since childhood how special we are.

We’re a force to be reckoned with now that we’re reaching an age to vote. We didn’t always have the power we do now. Therefore, it is time we start paying attention to what our communities need and who we put in office.

It’s time to educate ourselves on what we’re voting for. It’s time to stand for something and believe in it not because of “faith” or because our parents, pastors or religions tell us to, but because we’ve teased out the logic behind our convictions so carefully we can debate one another based on rationality. Just because you feel like something’s wrong or right doesn’t necessarily make it so.

I’m sure we’re all tired of the same old nonsensical debates. And really, when you think about it, do you actually believe in 50 years gay marriage, stem- cell research and marijuana won’t be legal? How detrimental are these things anyway? Why delay the future?

Surely there are more important issues to get upset about everyone can agree on—for instance, toddler beauty pageants. Undoubtedly children dressed up in creepily revealing adult outfits are worse for public psychological health than gay marriage. How can we allow something so obviously damaging to be shown on television, let alone exist, but not allow a couple of the same gender to make it official? The absolute worst thing that might happen if we allow gay couples to marry is higher adoption rates, cleaner city streets, and lower health care costs to the taxpayers.

So this election, don’t vote unless you’ve educated yourself on the potential outcomes and understand the reasons why you’re voting the way you are. In my opinion, this is another easy decision. But don’t take my word for it. Decide for yourself.

Whatever floats your vote