Controversy follows Dorner death

Aftermath of Christopher Dorner manhuntEven though the manhunt for former Los Angeles police officer Christopher Dorner came to its fatal ending, controversy still persists.

According to the autopsy report by the Riverside County coroner’s office, Dorner’s cause of death was a single gunshot wound to the head. The origin of the gunshot wound is still under investigation.

Dorner, who was fired from the LAPD, wrote in his manifesto it was because the department was racist toward him. He also cited several other ethical issues he witnessed.

LAPD police chief Charlie Beck said in a press conference Tuesday that the reputations of the department and those listed in Dorner’s manifesto are at risk.

“We are only as good as the public thinks we are,” Beck said.

Right now, some of the public doesn’t support the LAPD.

Immediately after the manhunt for Dorner began, Facebook pages appeared that criticized the LAPD and supported Dorner.

An online video game called, “Chris Dorner’s Last Stand” depicts Dorner as an American hero rather than a criminal.

The main character is Dorner, and the way to win is by shooting cops around an area resembling Big Bear.

This week, about a dozen people stood outside of LAPD headquarters holding signs supporting Dorner.

Beck said these types of demonstrations suggest the public is unsure of his department.

“If we don’t have public confidence, we can’t provide public safety,” Beck said.

Now people are questioning who receives the $1 million dollar reward offered by the city of Los Angeles for Dorner’s arrest.

Dorner was supposed to be arrested and convicted before the reward was given, but he died before the police could make an arrest.

The Huffington Post reported that if any money were to be given to anyone, it would be Jim and Karen Reynolds, the couple tied up and held hostage by Dorner in Big Bear. The Reynolds were the first people to inform the police of Dorner’s whereabouts.

According to The Huffington Post, it’s not up to the city to decide who receives the bounty, but a group of 20 committees who put forth the money for the reward in the first place.

Controversy follows Dorner death