Don’t let legal setback derail Balboa Park renovation

Plans to remove traffic from Balboa Park have come to a screeching halt. Earlier this month, San Diego Superior Court Judge Timothy Taylor struck down a $45 million project which called for a new bridge, an underground parking structure and the removal of parking lots in the middle of Balboa Park’s main plaza.

Photo by Paige Nelson, photo editor
Paige Nelson, Photo Editor

Taylor ruled the project violated San Diego’s municipal code. According to the code, the city would have to prove there was no beneficial use of the site economically in order to issue a development permit for a construction project to a historical site.

Taylor cannot be faulted for the ruling. He was doing his job as a judge to make sure the city followed its own laws and even sympathized with the project.  Despite the setback, city councilmembers shouldn’t give up on the project because of the ruling. The project would be beneficial to the city. There are too many vehicles in the square that clog up too much space. By clearing traffic from its main square, the project would make Balboa Park much more pedestrian friendly, which in turn will make it safer and encourage more tourism. Many of the parking lots in or near the center of Balboa Park aren’t needed anyway, because most visitors park at either the San Diego Zoo or along Park Boulevard.

Fortunately, the council is already on the move to revive the project. San Diego City Council President Todd Gloria is exploring legislative options to move the project along. One option is to amend the ordinance in the code cited by Taylor to allow an exception for Balboa Park. Amending the code would likely be vetoed by overly partisan Mayor Bob Filner. However, the council could override Filner’s veto with six votes, which is a strong possibility given they voted for it by a margin of 6-1 last year. While it could take several months, it would be worthwhile, and might allow the project to be ready in time for the park’s centennial celebration.

Opponents, such as the Save Our Heritage Organisation argue the project would make it impossible to see the Cabrillo Bridge and Plaza de Panama as it was in 1915. The flaw in SOHO’s argument is you can’t see the same 1915 view anyways. Nearly a century of trees have been planted to block the view of Plaza de Panama from both the Cabrillo Bridge and state Route 163. Drivers should be worried more about road safety instead of trying to look up at Plaza de Panama.

Opponents also argue against any alterations to the Cabrillo Bridge, which is considered historic. The bridge will still be there with the project, but a new bridge would connect traffic to an underground parking lot currently underneath the Spreckles Organ Pavilion parking lot. This project would actually benefit the Cabrillo Bridge. All motor vehicles would use the new bridge while the Cabrillo Bridge would be for pedestrians, making it much safer. Currently, cyclists and a lot of motor vehicles share the narrow bridge. As a cyclist, it makes me nervous when cars are constantly coming up behind me, especially when they’re trying to squeeze between me and oncoming traffic.

Furthermore, the project will help to preserve the breathtaking beauty of the park. The cars and parking lots are a major distraction to the otherwise fantastic architecture and make it difficult to fully appreciate the scenery. It’s similar to unnecessary clutter piled on the living room floor. No one wants a dirty living room, so why should the middle of Balboa Park be filled with unnecessary parking lots?

Photo by Paige Nelson, photo editor
Paige Nelson, Photo Editor

It would be a shame to give up on the Balboa Park project now. Construction dates were laid out before the Superior Court’s ruling and the park’s centennial celebration is only two years away. There’s still a door open for the City Council to get this project going without facing legal problems. Now it’s City Council’s turn to take it.