Frozen daiquiris on the menu at Wet Willie’s

03_26_13_Features_WetWillies2_CM
As you take a sip, cool refreshment washes over you. The bright color combinations of your frozen treat induce thoughts of summer.  Various flavors meld seamlessly, weaving their way into your taste buds.

Add a dash (or two) of alcohol and you’d be describing one of the famous frozen daiquiris at Wet Willie’s in the Gaslamp Quarter.

The restaurant and bar, located on Market Street between 5th and 6th avenues, is owned by San Diego State alumnus Will Demps. Demps graduated in 2001 and said he decided to bring the concept of frozen daiquiris to San Diego after enjoying the South Beach, Fla. branch.

“It’s kind of an East Coast thing, so I decided to bring a franchise to the West Coast,” Demps said. “Being a business major, I thought it would catch on out here.”

Wet Willie’s feels fun from the get-go. Upon entering, patrons find a long stretch of mixers filled with neon-colored daiquiris beneath an equally colorful arrangement of wall art above them. The restaurant is clean and features an open, modern layout.

03_26_13_Features_WetWillies1_CM

The frozen daiquiris are both unique and enjoyable. I sampled three concoctions not found on the menu: the Superman, Superwoman and Bob Marley. The Superman is a combination of the Shock Treatment (lemonade, Blue Curaco and grain alcohol) and Call a Cab (grain alcohol and light rum). Like its comic book namesake, the Superman packs a heck of a punch—one little shot of the stuff gave me a slight buzz. While the lemonade flavor is evident, the grain alcohol dominates and is overpowering. It was easily the strongest of the three, and its potency should not be underestimated.

The Superwoman also features the Shock Treatment flavor, but is combined with strawberry, creating a more balanced beverage. The strawberry stood out, making the alcohol noticeable, but not excessively so. I thought it appropriate that both daiquiris use blue and red color schemes to complete the Superman theme.

The Bob Marley was the most mellow, but most flavorful of the three. Strawberry, mango and sour apple swirled into a Rasta color combination, producing a light and refreshing taste that is perfect for a hot day. It was the most enjoyable of the samples, and I would definitely recommend giving it a try.

While these frozen creations are the marquee items at Wet Willie’s, the food is not to be overlooked. I ordered nachos from the appetizer section and was quickly brought a heaping mound of fresh tortilla chips piled high with homemade cheese sauce, lettuce, salsa fresca, jalapenos and two large dollops of sour cream. The included side of guacamole was the high point of the dish. Creamy and full of flavor, it complemented the rest of the nachos—especially the jalapenos—extremely well. The nachos are large enough to feed at least two people.

Even though Wet Willie’s is a chain, Demps added a unique twist to the San Diego location’s menu by incorporating Korean flair into some dishes. The inspiration comes from his Korean mother.

One such dish is the bulgogi barbecue sliders. Korean barbecue beef, grilled onions and sesame seeds fill the space between Hawaiian bread buns, and a sweet, savory marinade seeps from the beef to the bread. The simple combination produces a remarkably flavorful appetizer that will pleasantly surprise patrons’ taste buds. Manager Natalie Keefe said the beef’s marinade is made by Demps’ mother. Three mini sliders sit on the plate among a sea of golden french fries, which are heavenly on their own. An extra crisp outer layer compares to that normally found on fish and chips, making the fries stand out from other restaurants, while the insides are light and fluffy.

Not only were the food and drinks great, but the service was fast and friendly. Keefe said part of Wet Willie’s great atmosphere can be attributed to excellent staff.

“We have great team camaraderie, which gives off good vibes,” Keefe said.

Wet Willie’s dares to be different, which sets it apart from other bars and restaurants in the area.

“We’re the only place downtown where you can get a daiquiri,” Demps said. “Everybody has Jack and Coke, but it’s not everywhere you can go to get 17 to 18 daiquiri flavors. When you come to the Gaslamp, it’s about the experience. We provide a different atmosphere for patrons.”