Car2go takes a turn for SDSU students

03_27_13_News_Car2Go1_JO
Jordan Owen, Staff Photographer

The car-sharing company car2go recently extended its services to the San Diego State campus by opening six designated parking spots in G Lot. These vehicles can be parked in the assigned lots throughout the campus.

SDSU’s Associated Students partnered with the company to offer students a cost-efficient and environmentally friendly alternative mode of transportation to navigate not only to and from campus, but also around the city of San Diego.

Morgan Chan, Green Love Sustainability chair said car2go offers relief from the constant struggle of finding parking spots around campus.

“It helps alleviate the parking structure,” Chan said. “Parking decongestion is a big issue on campus.”

03_27_13_News_Car2Go2_JO
Jordan Owen, Staff Photographer

Unlike other car-sharing companies, car2go does not require fixed costs, deposits, parking charges, fuel costs or annual fees. Customers can be charged by minute rather than hour to use the all-electric vehicles.

The cars, available from downtown to La Jolla, can be legally parked and left free of charge in metered spots and in one or two hour parking zones.

The nearest vehicle can be located and reserved 24/7, 15 minutes in advance, online, through the car2go app or by calling the company at any time.

When a vehicle is located, customers simply swipe membership cards across the windshield to unlock the doors, retrieve the keys and enter a PIN number.

After completion, the customer is mobile.

Car2go launched in San Diego in November 2011. As a result of demand, the company now has 300 vehicles located around the city and more than 10,000 members.

Since the company’s launch in Germany in 2008, it has become one of the fastest growing markets around the world with increasing popularity.

Car2go takes a turn for SDSU students