Women’s tennis edged by Long Beach State

Photo by Kristian Carreon, Staff Photographer

The first road trip of the season turned into a close loss for the 46th-ranked San Diego State women’s tennis team, as it was dropped by 45th-ranked Long Beach State on Saturday by a score of 4-3.

If the match on Saturday said anything, it proved that the Aztecs are competitive with teams that are close to them in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association.

SDSU, led by a doubles and singles victory from lone senior Laura Antonaña Iriarte, were outdone by the rest of the 49er lineup. Antonaña Iriarte, who was named Mountain West Women’s Tennis Player of the Week last week, teamed up in doubles with junior Kristin Buth to win 7-5 against 49ers’ freshman Julie Gerard and junior Karolina Rozenberg.

That would be the Aztecs’ only doubles win, as LBSU won the other two doubles matches to pick up the doubles point. The 49ers’ freshman Laura Eales and freshman Holly Reid defeated Aztec sophomores Isabelle Hoorn and Tami Nguyen 6-3. Aztec sophomore Dora Somoracz and junior transfer Hailey Johnson were also beaten with a score of 6-4 by sophomore Ebba Unden and redshirt freshman Maeva Razakasoa.

Antonaña Iriarte took her singles match against Unden to a third-set tiebreak, where she prevailed 6-7(6), 6-1 and 10-4. Nguyen also needed a third-set tiebreak to take down Gerard by scores of 4-6, 7-5 and 10-5. Freshman Kennedy Davis also notched a singles victory for the Aztecs by beating freshman Hayley Thompson 6-2, 3-6 and 10-8.

However, LBSU had already clinched the match victory by the time Nguyen and Antonaña Iriarte finished their singles matches. Johnson suffered a crushing defeat at the hands of Rozenberg, which sealed the match for the 49ers.

Somoracz and Buth also lost their singles matches earlier in the program, which helped LBSU to the win.

The Aztecs, who dropped to a record of 2-1, will host University of California, Davis (1-1) next Saturday, Feb. 1 at 12 p.m. at the Aztec Tennis Center.

Photo by Kristian Carreon, staff photographer