Greeks use puppies to grant wish

San Diego State fraternity Phi Kappa Psi will be hosting a number of events in order to raise money for the Make-a-Wish Foundation.

“What we are doing for our project is adopting a wish through the Make-a-Wish Foundation so that we can raise the money for a specific child’s wish,”  Phi Kappa Psi Community Service Chair Sergio Soria said.

The organization will be raising money for a five-year-old leukemia survivor named Darian, whose wish is to go on a Disney cruise with his family to the Bahamas, Soria said.

“We have decided to choose this project because as an organization, despite what others may think, we are focused on helping others around us before ourselves,” Soria said. “Many of our members wanted to do something that would directly impact someone’s life so they could physically see the good they are doing, and we thought that adopting a wish would be the best way for us as an organization to do that.”

The project’s goal is to raise $8,000 – $3,000 from fundraisers and $5,000 from online donations Soria said.

“At this moment we have raised $1,500, but we have several fundraisers coming up,” Phi Kappa Psi President Markus Grauer said

The organization has three events planned to raise money for the cause. This week on Feb. 27 Phi Psi will bring puppies onto Campanile Walkway. Students can pay $2 for presale or $3 at the door to play with the puppies, Grauer said.

In addition to this fundraiser Phi Kappa Psi is also planning on having a raffle outside the Viejas Arena during the NCAA tournament  in March, and a dodgeball tournament in April, Grauer said.

In addition to the Make-a-Wish Foundation project, Phi Kappa Psi will also be making a trip to Mexico to donate gifts.

The organization has made trips in the past to help children and plans on going on March 7.

“Our goal for our community service project is to make a safe trip down to Mexico,” Phi Kappa Psi Philanthropy Chair Kyle Norton said. “Personally my favorite part is watching how happy the kids get from the smallest things such as playing games or little gifts they receive from the church.”

Greeks use puppies to grant wish