How to dress for Coachella

The Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival begins this weekend which means that festival season is officially here. It’s time to break out your hot pants and crop tops for some sun and tunes.

The most important rule of dressing for Coachella is to keep it cool. It may be tempting to pile on as many trends and accessories as possible, but when your velvet top makes you sweat and your wedges make you toes numb with pain, you’ll regret your ensemble. Remember, Coachella is a marathon, not a sprint–dress for it. Think breezy dresses and cotton rompers that are as comfortable as they are chic.

Don’t forget the essential items as well: Combat boots for standing all day, stylish sunnies to keep out the rays, a floppy hat for extra sun protection and a fanny pack to hold all your personal items, handsfree. (Thankfully these are far cuter now than they were in the 1980s.)

Pictured, clockwise: Headband from Urban Outfitters, daisy bra top from Nasty Gal, dress from Free People,  hat from Nasty Gal, romper from Tobi, boots from Free People, fanny pack from Forever 21, flamingo shorts from American Apparel, sunglasses from Nasty Gal, sporty crop top from Forever 21 and tie-dye shorts from American Apparel.

How to dress for Coachella