Greek Beat: Delta Zeta gives back

The San Diego State chapter of the Delta Zeta sorority has been working with a variety of charities this month to give back to the San Diego community.

“Delta Zeta’s goal for giving back to the community was to support one of our philanthropies: Gallaudet University,” Delta Zeta President Alexa Diantonio said.

Gallaudet University is a bilingual and diverse, multicultural institution of higher education that helps ensure the intellectual advancement of deaf and difficult-hearing of individuals through American Sign Language and English, Diantonio said.

“I think it is important to give back to the community because we have the ability and opportunity to make a difference in the community,” Diantonio said.

In addition to giving back to Gallaudet University, Delta Zeta also supports local San Diego organizations Urban Angels, the Starkey Hearing Foundation and Painted Turtle Camp, a camp for terminally and chronically sick children.

“It (Urban Angels) is a food donation center that provides meals to the hungry,” Delta Zeta member Chloe Kishel said. “We visit at least once a week to those in need.”

In order to raise money for their national philanthropies Delta Zeta hosted a nacho night fundraiser and a turtle bowl event, Kishel said.

“I love that through Delta Zeta I have the opportunity to better our local community as well as larger causes,” Kishel said.

Just recently Delta Zeta’s has been tabling in order to promote their national philanthropy for Gallaudet University and has called their campaign, “Learn to Listen Week.”

“It is so fulfilling to give back that once begun, philanthropy becomes a part of your lifestyle,” Diantonio said

Greek Beat: Delta Zeta gives back