Obviously hilarious

There’s something to be said about a movie being able to captivate a room full of random people. And “Obvious Child,” directed by Gillian Robespierre, does just that. The first three minutes of this somewhat-dark comedy will have you in stitches.

The film follows the life of young comedienne Donna (Jenny Slate). She tours the local comedy scene in Brooklyn and works in a mom-and-pop style bookstore, a routine she’s repeated throughout so many years it has left her complacent in life.

For her whole life, Donna has put off making any real-world decisions or even thinking about growing up to do “adult” things. But all that changes when a whirlwind of life-altering events make her look at life differently.

Here’s the gist: Donna becomes single, unemployed and pregnant all in the matter of a few days, thus causing her to take the plunge into adulthood and deal with her newfound problems.

Jenny Slate does a fantastic job playing the foul-mouthed Donna. Her comedy background from stints on shows such as “Saturday Night Live”and “Parks and Recreation” as well as her career as a stand-up comedian only help her step into the role of a young, wise-cracking and overall funny gal.

Gaby Hoffman and Gabe Liedman join Slate on the big screen as her free-spirited, pseudo-advisor roommate and her comedian best friend. The dialogue between the trio is quick witted and full of graphic depictions of bodily functions, sex and topics not for the faint of heart.

Robespierre, who also co-wrote the script, teamed up with Chris Teague for the cinematography. The visuals are simple but not boring. No camera tricks or special effects were needed for a film like this. Most scenes are up-close and intimate with the actors, causing the audience to feel as if they are actually in the comedy club or in Donna’s apartment.

The humor is relatable as Donna draws her material from her personal life and adventures. It’s almost like the comedy of Louis C.K., raw and real while showing no restrictions or censorship.

“Obvious Child” is hands down a must-see film. This coming-of-age comedy takes some problems that 20-somethings could potentially be going through and puts a funny spin on it. So if you’re looking for laughs, this flick is an obvious choice.

Nick Knott
Nick Knott, Entertainment Editor
Nick is a journalism senior and in his second year at the Daily Aztec.  After starting as a staff writer in the features section, Nick switched to entertainment as the section editor.  Nick will be graduating this upcoming May with a B.A. in journalism.  He ultimately wants to work in the magazine industry covering music, sneakers or streetwear fashion.
Obviously hilarious