Soundtracks score big in 2014

When watching movies, soundtracks are often overlooked or even ignored. There’s a story going on, so who cares about the background? What most don’t realize is that this very music is what shapes the movie; it’s a pivotal factor and aid for actors to create the appropriate emotions. Perhaps, these tunes are the underdog. Here are a few soundtracks from this year that prove just that.

“Palo Alto”

This Gia Coppola-directed movie deals with teenagers struggling with love and adolescent recklessness. The soundtrack justifies the movie to say the least. “Ode to Viceroy” by Mac DeMarco illustrates the plot perfectly as the song gives a creeping sense of longing and disillusion; the guitar in the background gives off that perfect careless energy the movie exerts. Blood Orange’s “You’re Not Good Enough” and Coconut Records’ “Is This Sound Okay?” are odes to the simplistic aesthetic shown in Coppola’s modern yet classic shots throughout the film.

“Divergent”

Directed by Neil Burger, “Divergent” is a sci-fi film that juggles a girl who is atypical in a world that judges based on virtues. As an enigma in this molded society, the main character must determine what makes her kind such a threat before society turns against her. The soundtrack of this film especially focuses on the sci-fi element of the movie. All songs are an eclectic, ethereal electronic combination that brings together both a futuristic and incredulous feel. Highlights include “Find You” by Zedd, “I Need You” by M83 and “Backwards” by Tame Impala, featuring Kendrick Lamar. You can spin these at your next party.

“Guardians of the Galaxy”

“Guardians of the Galaxy” follows a super-group of space convicts trying to stop evil from taking down its galaxy. Adventure is a recurring concept in the film, but the music is not your typical action-packed mixtape. However, the soundtrack backing this up is far from generic. Its varying line-up of throwback artists includes The Runaways, David Bowie and Jackson 5. The movie’s soundtrack is a groovy take on an intergalactic superhero movie.

“The Fault in Our Stars”

Yes, we’ve all heard the story. Girl has cancer, she meets boy, boy gets cancer and a bunch of mush in between. However typical the movie sounds, one cannot devalue the music even though John Green is branded on the name. The movie is quite good and the music is incredibly in sync with the storyline. Some highlights are “Boom Clap” by Charli XCX and “Simple as This” by Jake Bugg. Out of all, “No One Ever Loved” by Lykke Li captures the theme perfectly with its tear-jerking lyrics sung by Li’s tragically beautiful voice. Please listen and don’t ignore just because of the hype; the music is there for a reason.

Sarah Tanori
Sarah Tanori, Staff Writer
Soundtracks score big in 2014