Letter: Welcome back, Aztecs

Welcome home, Aztecs – to those of you who are new to our campus and the many who are returning.  We have an exciting year ahead, full of new opportunities — the new home for the Zahn Center, innovation in our astronomy department and the upcoming Aztec football season. San Diego State was recently recognized by Forbes in the #MyTopCollege campaign as the fifth best in the nation, but we all know the Mesa is number one in our hearts.

We, the editors, writers, advertisers and designers of The Daily Aztec, are proud to be part of this award-winning newspaper. We work hard to put together the best possible product to reflect the diversity and accomplishments of our campus, so thank you for picking up this newspaper.

In recent years, this 102-year-old newspaper has faced adversity and seen more changes to its structure than ever before. We have reduced our print publication and launched a video section to move toward a true multimedia organization. The Daily Aztec will now be published weekly on Wednesdays, and our website will be updated with new content daily. Special, themed issues will be published every other week. In fact, keep an eye out for our “Football Preview” issue on stands Sept. 9.

The Daily Aztec needs your help to create the best newspaper possible. We’re here to not only celebrate the accomplishments of our Aztecs, but also to be your resource for important campus issues. Please join our conversation, whether by email, Facebook or Twitter — we want to hear from you. I challenge you to write  a letter to the editor about something you believe needs to be addressed or what makes your Aztec experience unique. The Daily Aztec is your newspaper, so please, don’t stay a stranger. Your voice will help us create a newspaper that better reflects the needs of our 30,000-plus community. After all, it’s going to be an exciting year. And I can’t wait to tell your stories.

Welcome back, Aztecs. I hope your semester is filled with plenty of “I Believe” chants, good grades and California burritos.

Go Aztecs!

Contact Kelly at editor@thedailyaztec.com 

Kelly Hillock
Kelly Hillock, Editor in Chief
Kelly Hillock is the editor in chief for The Daily Aztec for the 2015-16 academic year. She is a senior studying  public relations and English here at San Diego State. Previously, Kelly served in many roles at The Daily Aztec, such as the features editor, public relations specialist, copy editor and senior staff writer. For questions or comments, contact Kelly at editor@thedailyaztec.com
Letter: Welcome back, Aztecs