History stands tall at Cabrillo Monument

Courtesy of National Park Service

After an extensive journey from Guatemala, Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo stepped onto American soil in 1542 in hopes of conquering new land. Landing in what Cabrillo called “San Miguel” he was greeted by three Kumeyaay American Indians. As he set foot on the coast, he noted in his journal it was “a very good enclosed port.” To show the Kumeyaay he wasn’t trying to seize their land, he showered them with gifts. After exploring the wonderful land of San Miguel (known today as San Diego), he continued his journey northward where he died only a year later on San Miguel Island from a shattered limb.

Today, the Cabrillo National Monument is open to the public as a tribute to the first European expedition along the West Coast and as a way to honor San Diego natives, the Kumeyaay. At the park, students can visit an exhibit, enjoy the tide pools, watch historical films and admire a breathtaking view.

Located at the tip of the Point Loma peninsula, a day at the Cabrillo National Monument can be an enjoyable trip with good company.

To gain perspective on Cabrillo’s journey along the West Coast, history buffs are encouraged to enter the “Age of Exploration” exhibit at the Visitor Center. Also at the Visitor Center are “In Search of Cabrillo” and “On The Edge of Land and Sea,” two films that run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and allow visitors a glimpse into the nature of Cabrillo’s voyage.

Cabrillo National Monument is not just a museum, it has other amenities open to the public. Nature-lovers can hike the Bayside Trail with two miles of panorama showcasing the rare coastal sage scrub habitat. During the spring and summer, hikers can also view beautifully colored wildflowers along the trail. During winter months, visitors are highly encouraged to visit the tide pools or go whale watching.