SDSU baseball wins exciting game over New Mexico, 10-9

Katelyn Mulcahy

On the back of two four-run frames, San Diego State Baseball stole game three of  its series against University of New Mexico with a 10-9 win Sunday afternoon in Albuquerque, New Mexico, avoiding a sweep.

The Aztecs (12-25, 5-10) moved to 2-4 on the season against the Lobos (29-12, 16-5), and to 4-1 in 2016 when scoring 10 or more runs, their last such win coming in an 11-6 victory over the Lobos on March 26.

After falling behind 1-0 to the Lobos, the Aztecs responded with their biggest inning of the series.

SDSU saw its three most productive hitters come alive in the third inning, starting when sophomore third baseman Justin Wylie knocked in two runners with a double.

Sophomore shortstop Alan Trejo drove in Wylie on a groundout, and sophomore right fielder Tyler Adkison gave the Aztecs a 4-1 lead with a  two-out RBI double.

Trejo would again add to his team-high 21 RBI with a solo home run in the fifth inning, giving the Aztecs a 5-1 advantage.

The Lobos would respond with a run  in the fifth and sixth innings, making the score, 5-3,  heading into the seventh.

Another four-run seventh, however, gave SDSU its biggest lead of the series at 9-3.

Sophomore left fielder Chase Calabuig continued his productive series with an RBI double, scoring Wylie, to open the scoring in the big inning.

After Calabuig scored on a fielding error by the UNM third baseman, freshman first baseman Jordan Verdon plated two on a two-out single to right field.

Verdon went 2-5 with a team-high three RBIs in this contest, as he drove in another runner in the ninth inning.

The Lobos closed the gap to 9-7 with a four-run eighth, highlighted by a three-run homer.

In the bottom of the ninth, it looked as if UNM was going to steal game three of the series after getting two runners on base with no outs.

The Lobos plated one of those runners on a one-out single, and one more on a two-out single  to make it a one-run game.

But the Aztecs closed down the rally, using their fourth pitcher in the final two innings in sophomore Tyler Loptien, ending the contest with two Lobos left on base.

Those runners were two of 16 UNM runners that were left on base, as the the Lobos only hit 9-27 with runners on base, versus 14-28 on Saturday afternoon.

The Aztecs used six different pitchers in total on Sunday afternoon, led by redshirt-junior right-hander Cody Thompson, who rebounded from a weak showing last weekend with a five-inning performance, allowing two runs and striking out three.

Loptien was the only SDSU pitcher to not allow a hit or a run on the day, and has yet to give up a run in his 4 1/3 innings this season.

SDSU will look to continue this momentum when it faces Long Beach State on Tuesday night, completing the teams’ two-game season series.

Zach Engberg
Zach Engberg, Sports Editor
Zach is a senior at San Diego State University majoring in journalism. Zach was the Sports Editor at The Daily Aztec, where he has been working since 2015. Zach has covered the SDSU football, baseball and women's lacrosse team, while reporting other breaking news stories. Born in San Francisco, Calif., Zach is an avid fan of the SF 49ers, Oakland Athletics and Golden State Warriors, and is still mourning the 2016 Finals loss and Super Bowl XLVII. Zach will someday work as a television sports commentator, joining the likes of Joe Buck, Mike Tirico and Marv Albert.
Katelyn Mulcahy
Katelyn Mulcahy, Staff Photographer
Katelyn is a staff photographer on the Daily Aztec. She is a freshman majoring in journalism with an emphasis in media studies.