Smashburger is well done

There’s no question San Diego has an abundance of burger joints. With funky fresh dining joints such as Hodad’s and Burger Lounge cropping up in new locations, the hardest question now is: which one? Have no fear, french fries fans, there’s a newcomer making it easy to decide.

Smashburger, with locations in both Mission Valley and La Jolla, easily has some of the tastiest patties in the city. Fellow Aztec Editor Sarah Kovash and I were recently treated to a meal at the newest location in Mission Valley, and it’s sufficed to say we were impressed. We’re such fans of the burger hotspot that we’ve returned to sample more of its succulent sandwiches. Here are a few menu items we especially enjoyed:

Mushroom Swiss Burger

After taking a bite of this bad boy, you won’t want to share. The mushroom-Swiss combination has definitely been perfected at Smashburger, and it’s now my go-to item when I visit. The egg bun is what sets this apart from any other restaurant, as it tastes like it was made fresh merely moments before you bit into it.

Oreo Mint Shake

Need to cool off? Then order one of these tasty treats to go. The Oreo Mint Shake is truly an indulgence, even for a sweet-toothed sugar fanatic. It’s made with Haagen Dazs mint ice cream and cookie crumbles, so the quality is top shelf. But hurry up! It’s a seasonal flavor that only lasts until the end of the month.

Sweet Potato Smashfries

Whoever popularized this sweet potato craze deserves a Nobel Prize. It seems as though every restaurant in the area has these deep-fried delights on its menu, but I assure you the ones at Smashburger are some of the best. Topped with rosemary and olive oil, you’ll want to order another as soon as the first batch is devoured.

Sunset Smashsalad

If you’re like me and have started worrying about a bikini body for summer, then check out some of Smashburger’s salads. My favorite is the Sunset, with has fresh greens topped with chicken, sunflower seeds, cranberries and more. It’s a meal that is not only nutritious, but also satisfying.

News for burger lovers!

There is also a location in Del Mar and the downtown location will open on May 27.

Smashburger is well done