San Diego State University’s Independent Student Newspaper Since 1913

The Daily Aztec

San Diego State University’s Independent Student Newspaper Since 1913

The Daily Aztec

San Diego State University’s Independent Student Newspaper Since 1913

The Daily Aztec

Questions surround student’s death

Mechanical engineering junior jasmine Madarang was struck and killed by a car on Interstate 8 near Waring Road after attending a football game tailgate party at SDCCU Stadium, Sept. 16.

Friends and family are questioning the circumstances that led to the death of Jasmine Madarang, the San Diego State student who was struck and killed by a car the evening of SDSU’s football game against Stanford.

Madarang, 20, was reported missing by her friends after she attended the Kappa Alpha fraternity’s tailgate party for the Sept. 16 game at SDCCU Stadium.

She was said to have last been seen and texting with her friends between 5:30 and 6 p.m., according to a Facebook post from her aunt.

She was killed two hours later, about two miles away from where she had last been seen.

Just before 8 p.m. the same evening, a woman entered westbound Interstate 8 on foot near Waring Road in an attempt to cross the freeway, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The driver of a vehicle traveling on I-8 was unable to stop in time and struck the woman.

Paramedics were called, and the woman, later identified as Madarang, was pronounced dead at the scene, the Medical Examiner’s office said.

Junior kinesiology major Janie Giannone said she is confused how Madarang could have ended up walking on I-8, three freeway exits away from the football game.

“Someone had to have driven her and left her in a place where  she would be able to walk there,” Giannone said. “There is no way. I just don’t believe she could have been able to walk there herself.”

Giannone said she wondered if Madarang had been in an Uber.

Madarang’s aunt, Rizza Madarang, said she is not happy with the progress of the investigation.

“We are just frustrated that authorities are not doing their job and trying to close their case without doing a proper investigation,” Rizza Madarang said. “They need more manpower on the case to follow leads.”

CHP officers said the investigation into Jasmine Madarang’s death is ongoing, and further details could not be divulged.

“It is a mystery and I don’t like it,” Giannone said. “Knowing is not going to bring her back, but (it could bring) at least some peace of mind that if someone is responsible, they will get in trouble or something.”

Child development junior Megan Campbell said information on Madarang’s death was unclear, and also wondered if Madarang had been in an Uber.

“I know that a lot of information has been kept private because her family wants it to be,” Campbell said.

She said between 9-10 p.m. Saturday, she began hearing rumors about Madarang’s passing, and later received a call from Madarang’s best friend.

“She just called me sobbing and told me it was true,” Campbell said. “It didn’t feel real. I didn’t believe it.”

Undeclared sophomore Christine Eidt found out about her friend’s passing from a phone call from Campbell.

She said she has reached out to but has not been able to speak to the people who were with Madarang before she disappeared.

“They have been mourning on a very intense level,” Eidt said. “We just have to give them the time and respect. I talked to one of them and they don’t know how this happened. I don’t really know the details surrounding it, but it wasn’t like they just left her. It is hard to say.”

“It’s still confusing for a lot of us,” Eidt said. “Even people who were there with her don’t really know the details and that is the scary thing. It has been hard to get closure from this whole situation because we don’t know what happened.”

Eidt said that while she has heard rumors that Madarang was walking down the freeway, she does not believe this is true.

“I know her, she is a very sensible person,” Eidt said. “Without a doubt in my mind there is no reason why she would do that without something else being involved and it is just scary. So we haven’t been able to fill in the gaps.”

Madarang was a member of the Delta Zeta sorority during her freshman and part of her sophomore year. Eidt said although Madarang is no longer affiliated with Delta Zeta, they still consider her a sister and love her.

Delta Zeta’s national leadership released a statement on Madarang in the days following her death.

”Our thoughts and prayers are with our Gamma Omicron sisters and Jasmine’s family and friends during this difficult time,” said Diane Stecher, Delta Zeta National President. “It’s never easy losing a loved one, but it is especially difficult when a life is taken from us at a far too young age. We extend our deepest sympathy during this time.”

Kappa Alpha, the fraternity that hosted the tailgate party where Madarang is believed to have spent her last hours, was placed on probation by national headquarters after she was killed. Jesse Lyons, a representative of Kappa Alpha Order’s national leadership, said the chapter’s current status is temporarily on probation to allow time to get facts and assist in any way possible.

“Our thoughts and prayers remain with Jasmine Madarang’s family and friends, some of whom are members of our chapter,” Lyons said in an email. “Members are working with local authorities, the university, and our national office to get the facts and assist in any way to determine just what happened.”

Eidt said Madarang’s death should be mourned, and her memory should be appreciated.

“Be aware, it is really scary in the world,” Eidt said. “Life is held on by a tiny thread, and things can just happen in an instant and change your whole world.”

About the Contributor
Jasmine Bermudez, Assistant News Editor
Jasmine Bermudez is the assistant news editor at The Daily Aztec. She is a fourth year journalism major and political science minor at San Diego State.
Activate Search
San Diego State University’s Independent Student Newspaper Since 1913
Questions surround student’s death