Homecoming nominees discuss event proposals

Danny Dyer
SDSU students Cha Cha Rane, Abel Mercado, Kimberly Alli and Victor Uwakwe take part in the “chalking” homecoming event at the Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre Oct. 16.

SDSU’s homecoming royalty will be announced at halftime at the Oct. 21 football game against the Fresno State Bulldogs.

Associated Students Executive Vice President Vanessa Girard said that each of the 10 homecoming nominees were nominated by their student organizations.

“After homecoming royals are selected, they do a community service project together that they implement in the spring semester,” Girard said

Honors Council nominee Ryan LaMar said former presidents of his organization have run for royalty so he felt obligated to continue the tradition.

“Homecoming means presenting Aztecs who demonstrate outstanding service, leadership, and scholarship,” he said. “It’s also a way to show alumni what a successful Aztec looks like today.”

LaMar said he proposed doing an event on campus that would bring together SDSU’s student veteran and civilian populations.

“For a variety of reasons, the veteran population faces a different set of challenges on campus,” he said. “The goal of the event would be to demonstrate our thanks for their service and identify these challenges and use that information to improve the administration’s and Associated Student’s ability to assist veterans when issues arise.”

Student African American Brotherhood nominee Nnagozie Odeluga said running for homecoming is a honor and he truly appreciates people recognizing him.

Odeluga said his proposal is a culture fair.

“Different diverse groups in both the SDSU and San Diego community could come together, learn more about each other and bond through food, workshops and performances,” he said.

Afrikan Student Union nominee Victor Uwakwe said he decided to run for homecoming court because he saw the potential in himself.

“To me homecoming is the euphoric feeling of watching alumni marvel at the legacy in which SDSU has maintained and will continue to uphold,” he said. “It also serves to encourage current and future generations in promoting the principles set forth before them.”

Uwakwe said he wants to use homecoming as a platform to impact the community with a service event. He said he wants to implement a depression awareness series that will assist in breaking the stigma surrounding depression.

“I plan to establish an informative and interactive series of events where students, staff, administration and residents can get a clear understanding of what depression is, learn how to fight depression and learn how to support others going through depression,” he said.

SDSU Ambassadors homecoming court nominee Abel Mercado said running for homecoming court is about much more than winning.

“Running for homecoming is being able to represent not only my student organization that nominated me but also representing students, faculty, staff and family,” Mercado said.

Mercado said homecoming is a great tradition where SDSU celebrates the past legacy that alumni left at SDSU.

“To me, the main purpose of homecoming is everybody coming together from Aztecs from the past and present in coming together as a family,” Mercado said.

Chair of Student Team Competition Paige Doherty said homecoming events are unlike any other event.

“The reasons we have these events is so different organizations on campus become more close and get to know each better, building a sense of community within different organizations,” Doherty said.

Mercado said that homecoming court nominees volunteer in the events to show students they have a heart for service.

Homecoming events this week include:

Aztec Leaders: Past, Present and Future from 5-7 p.m. at Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Theater on Oct. 18.

Aztecs Got Talent at 7-9 p.m. at Montezuma Hall in the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union on Oct. 18.

Ultimate Aztec Challenge from 12-4 p.m. at the Exercise Nutritional Sciences Field on Oct. 19.

Homecoming pep rally from 12-12:30 p.m. at Farmers market on Oct. 19.

Volleyball vs. Boise State at 6 p.m. at Aztec court at Peterson Gym on Oct. 19.

War Memorial Wreath-Laying Ceremony at 9:30 a.m. at War Memorial on Aztec Green on Oct. 20.

National Pan-Hellenic Council Homecoming Yard Show at 6:30 p.m. at Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union steps on Oct. 20.

Women’s soccer vs. Wyoming at 7 p.m. at SDSU Sports Deck on Oct. 20.

Homecoming 5k Fun Run at 8 a.m. at Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Courtyard on Oct. 21.

Volleyball vs. Utah State at 1 p.m. Aztec Court at Peterson Gym on Oct. 21.

The Great Alumni Tailgate at 5-7 p.m. at Wells Fargo Aztec Village on Oct. 21.

Jasmine Bermudez
Jasmine Bermudez, Assistant News Editor
Jasmine Bermudez is the assistant news editor at The Daily Aztec. She is a fourth year journalism major and political science minor at San Diego State.
Danny Dyer, Staff Writer