SDSU suffers another heartbreaking loss

With two outs in the bottom of the seventh inning, the San Diego State softball team found itself in a familiar position on Sunday in Las Vegas.

The team had another chance to put away UNLV, which had defeated SDSU the day before on a two-run walkoff home run.

The result was familiar for the Aztecs too, as UNLV’s Ashli Holland hit a three-run walkoff home run against senior pitcher Samantha Beasley to give the Rebels a dramatic 13-11 win against SDSU.

Another heartbreaking loss left head coach Kathy Van Wyk looking for positives.

“It was extremely disappointing,” Van Wyk said. “We batted well and scored lots of runs, so it was encouraging to see the offense come around.”

The Aztecs faced two four-run holes during the course of the game. But SDSU was resilient, as it tied the game in the top of the sixth inning and took the lead in the top of the seventh.

Sophomore Kamerin May was the catalyst for the Aztec rally as she went 3-for-4 with two home runs, three RBI and scored three runs.

May knew what to expect from any pitcher UNLV threw out on the mound.

“We had a plan for every pitcher,” May said. “Their lefty had a change-up, and their ace was going to be coming inside. I knew I had to back off the plate since she was going to be pitching me in.”

Mother Nature played a role in the game as well, as the wind helped contribute to the high run totals.

May and Van Wyk both acknowledged the fact the wind assisted the outcome of the game.

“It was the wind,” May said. “On my first home run I hit the ball off the knob of my bat.”

“It was huge,” Van Wyk said. “Any ball that was lifted in the air was going out. Both of Kamerin’s home runs barely cleared the wall. But both teams had to play with it.”

SDSU now finds itself riding a three-game losing streak. The team fell to 29-19 with the loss and dropped to 5-5 in Mountain West Conference play.

For now, the team is looking to put the UNLV losses behind it and win the last three games of the season.

“What happens in the past stays in the past; it’s over with,” May said. “We have games against Colorado State and New Mexico, who just beat BYU. So we have to move on from here.”

SDSU suffers another heartbreaking loss