What you need to know for Greenfest

Juniper Perkins
This board is a collective intention mural where people wrote how they intend to contribute to the world.

Greenfest is finally here with a week filled to the brim with exciting events. 

This year’s theme: reach with your roots. 

“We’ve been planning this week for months now,” Greenfest Chair and marketing senior Nickolas Wohlman said. “It’s an awesome celebration of all the work we’ve put into it. There’s no one specific event. I’m just so excited to be in all of them.” 

Rain may impact events, but stay updated by following Greenfest on Instagram at @greenfestsdsu. Here’s a quick review and preview of the long-awaited festival. 

The theme is to reach with your roots.

Day One

Greenfest commenced with Viva la Tierra on Monday, March 9. This new event focuses on creative ways to recycle with art. Students used recycled bike parts to create their own jewelry while watching artists express their love for the earth. 

“I know it’s midterms and everyone’s taking tests,” Wohlman said. “If we can take them away from all that stress … to inspire one person, that would be a success to me.” 

Later that day, Montezuma Hall was transformed into a candlelit oasis. Doctor of Physical Therapy and registered yoga teacher Jen Shaw led a restorative yoga flow for students and faculty. 

Day Two

The second day, Tuesday, March 10, was marked by activism and learning. 

Another new program, the Envirojustice Fair, filled the Aztec Student Union with community activists and local organizations to talk about environmental justice. Due to the rain, the groups took shelter by Oggi’s. 

“I came into SDSU knowing nothing about sustainability or the environment,” Student Team Competitions Chair and ISCOR junior Ubaldo Martinez said. “I made a friend who was the chair of Greenfest at the time and I fell in love with it … it even urged me to change my major to ISCOR because now I’m able to specialize in the environment.” 

That evening, Green Game Night took the Union by storm. Students were encouraged to disconnect from social media and connect with people in person. Several environmental-themed games tested students’ knowledge of sustainability, environmental justice and more. 

There are events every day this week, but some may be impacted by rain.

Day Three

On Wednesday, March 11, Green Love and the Native American Student Alliance collaborated to put on the Green Lunch Bag Series. From noon to 2 p.m., the Union Theatre will host local indigenous scholars for a panel discussing sovereignty, sustainability and environmental justice. There will be free Oggi’s and beverages. 

“Sustainability to me is being more conscious of your environment,” Wohlman said. “Not even just the physical environment but your social environment too because there’s a lot of cultural issues when it comes to socio-economic justice. It boils down to being more conscious of the people around you, saving the earth for generations to come.” 

Then for the second event, people with a passion for fashion won’t want to miss out.

“It’s always my favorite part,” Martinez said. “This year I’m hosting it too so it makes it that much better.” 

The Greenfest Fashion Show will be in the Montezuma lounge from 6 to 8 p.m. Students decked out in recycled, upcycled and generally sustainable creations will stomp and strut their ways down the runway in three categories: anything But, thrifting and ECOuture. Local thrift stores will also be in attendance to promote their stores. 

“We have the Anything But category where contestants are basically modeling attire that is made of anything but clothing,” Martinez said. “In the past they’ve done Trader Joe’s bags, plastic bags, you name it.” 

Day Four

On Thursday, March 12, Greenfest will table at the weekly farmers’ market from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Their table will help you get hyped for the concert on Friday and give you free goodies.

A couple of hours later, The Rooted open mic night is planned to take place in the Union Courtyard from 4 to 6 p.m. In collaboration with Xpress!, Greenfest hopes to highlight diversity and pride in allowing students to share their own way of personal expression. Food will be served and students will have the opportunity to check out local vendors, live painting and more. 

Greenfest wants everyone to “celebrate our differences through all platforms of art and support our local community,” according to their website. 

Greenfest will also host two major giveaways throughout the night.  

Day Five

Friday, March 13, is the day of the highly anticipated Greenfest Concert, headlined by the alternative rock group Young the Giant. Events begin at 4 p.m. in the Union Courtyard with the concert kick off. Get hyped for the concert while watching student performers and eating free food. 

Rain or shine, doors for the concert open at 7 p.m. at the Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre. Student tickets are $15 and guest tickets are $25. A valid Red ID is required for each ticket purchased. If you haven’t gotten yours yet, your last chance is 4:30 p.m. at the Viejas Arena Ticket Office on the day of the concert. 

Battle of the Bands winner Ariel Imani will open with some of her new music. 

Juniper Perkins, Senior Staff Writer
Juniper Perkins (they/them/theirs) is a third-year journalism student with an emphasis in media studies and a minor in creative editing and publishing. In addition to their work at The Daily Aztec, they're also Secretary of SDSU's chapter of Society of Professional Journalists. Their other passions include creative writing, watercolor painting and Dungeons and Dragons. You can follow them on Twitter @juniperkins.
What you need to know for Greenfest