LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE: Ferguson leaves the crowd laughing

By David Dixon, Staff Writer

Scottish-American comedian Craig Ferguson had plenty of goofy anecdotes to tell at the Balboa Theatre last Friday night.

Audiences know Ferguson from his late night television series, “The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.” While his absurd personality is always on display, Ferguson is more vulgar when performing live stand-up.

Before Ferguson came on, comedian Randy Kagan warmed the audience up with his opening act. Some of the best material was about border patrol agents, the idiocy of suicide bombers, and his love for grandmas.

Moments after Kagan left the stage, the audience began cheering when Ferguson yelled his popular catchphrase, “It’s a great day for America, everybody!” Shortly after, Ferguson said he was going to tell a dirty tale that he thought the audience would enjoy. Instead, he did a complete standup routine, and ended it with this aforementioned laugh, involving a pair of shoes and a sexual device for women.

Many of Ferguson’s funniest stories were about celebrity sex scandals. He mentioned older ones, such as the alleged 2005 Kevin Costner incident involving his propositioning a massage therapist while on his honeymoon, to more recent news concerning the trials and tribulations of the disgraced Tiger Woods and the wild and wacky Charlie Sheen.

Ferguson also talked about his personal life. He referenced his childhood in a sexually puritanical Scotland, his former addiction to alcohol, finding out that his elementary school-aged son knew more about sexual terminology than he did, and his relationship with his current wife.

At the very end of the program, Ferguson hilariously lip-synched to Britney Spears’ hit song “Oops, I Did It Again” with two back up musicians from his TV show. The scantily dressed flutist looked like he was part of the Village People, while the white-tuxedoed sax player was a dead-ringer for Clarence Clemons of Bruce Springsteen’s E Street Band. It was an oddly satisfying way to end the evening.

Viewers and nonviewers, of Ferguson’s show will appreciate his craft as a comedian. He has sharp timing and is full of comedic energy. Even the yarns that could have come across as offensive were handled with ridiculous glee.

For more information on Ferguson tour dates visit ticketmaster.com.