Paqui: Bringing home-cooked meals to the dorms

Picture courtesy of Kiori Snyder
    Picture courtesy of Kiori Snyder

I miss the comfort of a home-cooked meal.

Most freshmen think the meal plans are great here – you are constantly eating out, you don’t have to worry about making your own meals and eating on campus is fast and convenient.

I think differently.

This transition has been a challenge for me. I went from cooking every meal I ate and rarely dining out to eating nothing but what is offered in the dining hall or on campus.  So instead of resorting to the luxury dorm meals such as Lean Cuisine or Easy Mac, I decide to take an adventure to Trader Joe’s and do a little grocery shopping.  For me, grocery shopping is therapeutic and is secretly one of my favorite pastimes – so you can imagine the smile on my face as I grazed through the aisles of fresh food like a little kid in a candy store.

That night, I came home with bags full of groceries unattainable from the usual Aztec Market.  Now my mini fridge is stocked with fresh fruit and veggies and other items I can easily prepare meals with.

Now I’m sure you are wondering what kind of meals I could possibly make since I’m only allowed a microwave in my dorm room. It’s actually quite easy. Last night I made what was probably the best meal I have eaten since I have been at college (partly because it reminded me of home).  In my microwave, I made lemon pepper chicken and brown rice with fresh cut tomatoes and avocado on top and a splash of balsamic vinegar to add flavor.  The chicken was just rotisserie-style found in the store’s refrigerator section; the brown rice was frozen and needed just three minutes to heat up.

For those of you in dying need of a home-cooked meal just as I was, feel free to try this simple and easy recipe. My meal cost roughly $5.50 (per serving) – much less than those offered on campus and for a lot more food. Not bad for a starving college student’s budget.

Follow Kiori on Twitter.

I think differently.

This transition has been a challenge for me. I went from cooking every meal I ate and rarely dining out to eating nothing but what is offered in the dining hall or on campus. So instead of resorting to the luxury dorm meals such as Lean Cuisine or Easy Mac, I decide to take an adventure to Trader Joe’s and do a little grocery shopping. For me, grocery shopping is therapeutic and is secretly one of my favorite pastimes – so you can imagine the smile on my face as I grazed through the aisles of fresh food like a little kid in a candy store.

That night, I came home with bags full of groceries unattainable from the usual Aztec Market. Now my mini fridge is stocked with fresh fruit and veggies and other items I can easily prepare meals with.

Now I’m sure you are wondering what kind of meals I could possibly make since I’m only allowed a microwave in my dorm room. It’s actually quite easy. Last night I made what was probably the best meal I have eaten since I have been at college (partly because it reminded me of home). In my microwave, I made lemon pepper chicken and brown rice with fresh cut tomatoes and avocado on top and a splash of balsamic vinegar to add flavor. The chicken was just rotisserie-style found in the store’s refrigerator section; the brown rice was frozen and needed just three minutes to heat up.