Aztecs fall in four sets to No.21 CSU

Antonio Zaragoza, Photo Editor
Antonio Zaragoza, Photo Editor

This past weekend was a crucial one for the San Diego State Volleyball team in terms of how it would match up not only in the Mountain West Conference, but the entire NCAA.

Last Thursday, SDSU hosted the University of Wyoming Cowgirls, an MW rival.

SDSU started and ended with incredible intensity and couldn’t be stopped throughout the game. The Aztecs’ defense was flawless and returned almost everything Wyoming served.

The Cowgirls struggled as SDSU won three sets in a row, 25-19, 25-11 and 25-20.

A few days later the stands of the Peterson Gym were packed with fans anxiously waiting, as SDSU was prepared to take on the 21st-ranked Colorado State University Rams.

Despite the fact the Aztecs had a rocky start at the beginning, the first and second set was up for grabs for both teams.

CSU had dominating middle blockers, which made it hard for SDSU to respond defensively. It seemed as though nothing could stop CSU’s teamwork, consequently leaving SDSU with a loss of 25-19 in the first set, and 25-20 in the second set.

The Aztecs seemed to gain their momentum back in the match’s third set. SDSU adjusted to CSU’s playing style and positioned itself on the court in ways that made it stronger both offensively and defensively. The Aztecs clearly wanted the win and scraped out a 25-21 victory in the third set.

In the fourth set the Rams held a six-point lead most of the match, which they played to their advantage. CSU took the fourth set for the game win, 25-18.

When it comes to what could have been done differently to obtain a win against CSU, head coach Deitre Collins-Parker’s answer was as simple as Volleyball 101.

“We could have passed a little better,” she said. “We have to take this game, learn from it and prepare for the next game. CSU was a very good team, so I’m not upset. We are still a young team so it’s exciting to see what we can do.”

On Thursday the Aztecs will travel to Fort Worth, Texas to play TCU, another MW competitor.

Aztecs fall in four sets to No.21 CSU