WATER POLO: Aztecs go for Michigan sweep

The San Diego State water polo team has a rare opportunity at noon tomorrow: It has a chance to sweep Michigan in regular season play.

No. 7 SDSU (20-7, 0-6 in Mountain Pacific Sports Federation play) has faced the No. 14 Wolverines (24-8) twice already this season, winning the first match by a score of 9-6 and the second 10-6.

The Aztecs are desperately looking to get back on track after dropping their last three games, all to conference opponents. Throughout the losing streak, SDSU has been outscored 32-22.

Michigan is bringing a 17-game winning streak into the Aztec Aquaplex and is looking to extend that streak riding the arm of outstanding freshman Meagan Cobb. Cobb was recently named CWPA Western Division Player of the Week. Cobb led the Wolverines to wins over ranked opponents Maryland and Indiana, collecting six goals in the last three games. Throughout the season, Cobb has collected 33 goals, good for second on the team’s leading scorers’ list, and first in rookie points with 40.

The Aztecs will have their hands full controlling Cobb as they focus on getting their offense back on track. In its three wins prior to the current losing streak, SDSU netted 33 goals, 11 more than its past three matches.

The key for the Aztecs to get back into the win column will be their transition game. They have been most successful throughout the season when they are able to capitalize on counter attacks and take advantage of odd number attacks. SDSU has struggled on power play attempts this season, which has forced it to rely on turning its defense into its best opportunities on the other end. When the Aztecs’ defense struggles and doesn’t produce enough stops, it holds them from getting out on the break and creating scoring opportunities.

This game means a lot to both teams, with SDSU as the highest ranked team Michigan will play on its road trip. The Wolverines do not want their winning streak to come to an end, while the Aztecs need to get back momentum before they enter the MPSF conference championships.

AT A GLANCE:
When: Noon, tomorrow
Where: Aztec Aquaplex
Why To Watch: With the regular season drawing near the end, SDSU looks to get back into the win column.