Be guilt-free with gluten-free food products

MCT Campus

Pizza, beer and cookies all have something in common 8212; and it’s not their lack of nutritional value. Gluten, found in most carb-loaded snacks, has lured many into what is called a “gluten-free diet,” in hopes to cure themselves of fat-causing cravings. But before gluten-free foods became popular, they made eating in a mandated food regimen a chore. For those suffering from celiac disease, gluten is detrimental and gluten-free dining is the only hope.

Gluten is an elastic protein found in wheat, rye, barley and oats. Its elasticity is the magic behind rising breads, moist cakes and doughy cookies. Gluten is a thickening agent that keeps breads and pasta from falling apart.

“Gluten comes from the same Latin root as glue,” Shauna James Ahern, author of “Gluten-Free Girl,” said. “Think of gluten as the glue of wheat, rye and barley.”

Gluten is the glue-like compound people suffering from celiac disease must eliminate from their meals, hence, a gluten-free diet. Celiac disease is caused by a severe reaction to gluten within the small intestine. Those who suffer from this lifelong allergen must stay away from gluten products, or risk inflammation in the small intestine, and the lining, called the villus, will weaken and be unable to absorb nutrients.

Gluten intolerance is more difficult than merely staying away from wheat bread. Because gluten is hidden in such a large variety of products, avoiding it can be quite tedious.
Mass-processed meats are often made with gluten, to fill out the salami or make the turkey seem plumper, according to Ahern. Not to mention, it’s found in even the most unsuspecting of snacks 8212; such as popsicles.

“A good, old-fashioned popsicle requires real concentration and sucking powers, because it lasts and lasts,” Ahern said. The longevity of our frozen favorites is the usual giveaway of its gluten content.

The secret supply of gluten in most basic foods has forced sufferers of celiac disease to painstakingly read labels, become familiar with terms such as maltodextrin which is the complex for starch, or just plain risk it, which is a very bad idea that can result in 48 hours of extreme discomfort.

But the hunt for gluten-free products is slowly becoming easier. Because of the popularity of this low-fat and nutritious diet, more and more manufacturers are attracted to the idea of not only labeling their products as “gluten-free,” but making gluten-free substitutes.

For the first time, gluten-free dieters can once again relish in the chewy goodness of wheat proteins by prescribing to gluten-free substitutes such as Glutino Breadsticks, Lundberg Risotto and Jennie’s Macaroons. These products and more can be found at health food stores such as Whole Foods Market, Trader Joe’s, Henry’s Farmers Market and many online health grocery stores such as www.glutenfree.com, www.flyingapron.net and www.glutenfreemall.com.

The dread of eating is slowly ending, and now the hardest part is making a decision between all the scrumptious varieties. Whether you have a gluten allergy or just want to eat healthier, guiltless and delicious gluten-free products are here to stay.