STUDY ABROAD 2010: Transportation abroad

MCT Campus

Studying abroad can make for the trip of a lifetime, allowing for an opportunity to explore and understand countries and their own unique cultures, food and lifestyles. But without a good idea of the transportation in and around the area, it can get frustrating and expensive traveling in and outside the city.

It’s no secret Europe is the most common destination for students studying abroad, and perhaps for good reason. Though Europe’s several countries are diverse and rich in culture, neighboring nations are conveniently located within driving distance of each other, allowing the possibility for one to explore other countries while studying abroad in a single city.

For the more outdoorsy type, bicycling within one’s own city 8212; or even to neighboring countries 8212; can prove to be an inexpensive and reliable way to lose the “Freshman 15.” For those looking for something less challenging but still hoping to get a taste of the outdoors, backpacking is a widely popular method of traveling between countries. And considering the wide array of affordable youth hostels located throughout Europe, some with prices as low as 20 euros, camping down for the night will hardly break the bank while allowing travelers to still meet new people.

Although traveling by bike or by foot might appeal to some, there are certainly other methods of traveling between countries. Renting a car is definitely an option, but having the convenience of steering those four wheels can be costly 8212; as much as $48 a day depending on the city. Some countries, Italy and Spain, for example, require the user to own an International Driving Permit before driving the vehicles, and many car-leasing companies won’t even permit those younger than 21 to rent their cars.

Traveling by train is another popular option within Europe. Although not as speedy or direct as traveling by plane, trains make up for this lack of efficiency by allowing for a far more scenic ride, as well as a more spontaneous travel plan. Eurail, one of the major rail companies within Europe, has several good deals that are extremely customizable and travel-friendly. Travel passes can last anywhere between three to 10 days and can be used in one country, one region, between five countries or all of Europe’s 21 countries depending on one’s preference. While traveling by train can be fairly inexpensive (as low as $39 per ticket) longer and more complex trips can get expensive fast, costing more than $1,200 for the most expensive, yet most unlimited pass.

And finally, air travel is always an option. Ryanair, an airline that flies specifically in Europe, has some very good deals that cater to travelers hoping to see different cities quickly and on a budget. With prices as low as $45 between cities, there’s definitely a reason nearly 74 million travelers use the airline annually.

But obviously, Europe is not the only destination for students studying abroad. Asia is another common continent for those hoping to study somewhere new. In Japanese cities such as Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto, public transportation is legendary for its efficiency, and, considering gas prices usually cost more than $4 per liter in urban areas, it might be the average student’s only option. A Japan Rail Pass is fairly affordable, and the opportunity to ride on bullet trains that exceed 300 kilometers an hour is surely not an experience to miss.

Most cities in China, however, are far more reliant on automobiles. Taxis are a safe bet there, allowing for the benefit of traveling directly to a preferred destination. Public buses are inexpensive and widely used, with fares usually costing 15 to 25 cents per ride. However, because of ever-increasing traffic congestion and pollution, rail travel and subways are rapidly becoming favored among locals and travelers to the country.