Optometry to return

Liquid Library

Student Health Services closed its optometry office last spring because of inefficiencies, but will reopen an improved service next spring to replace it.

Up until last May, according to SHS, San Diego State had an optometry department that was able help students as any local optometrist would. The service was closed in an effort to improve it.

Previously, SDSU had a contract with UC Berkeley, which provided the optometry service, but when it reopens next spring semester, it will be run by SDSU. Funding will be provided by a facility fee that was implemented when the SHS building was originally constructed.

According to Joanne Stroud, administrative manager of Student Health Services, some of the improved services during the reopening include double the amount of available eyeglass frames and faster turnaround on orders because of new local labs. The previous labs were chosen by Berkeley, which led to much longer turnaround times.

Stroud is excited about the reopening with the new optometrist, Dr. Yelena Davydova.

“When the optometry office reopens and the new dentist opens on campus, SDSU will be one of the only universities with both dental and eye care,” Stroud said.

Dr. Ivan R. Schwab, professor of corneal and external disease at UC Davis, explained many eye related concerns for students in a podcast sponsored by the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

The podcast includes information ranging from causes of common eye problems to the detrimental effects sexually transmitted diseases can have on the eyes.

According to Schwab, dry, irritated and strained eyes can be caused by both prolonged computer use and sleep deprivation. Both causes are experiences students are prone to be exposed to, especially during late night studying and cramming for finals.

Other issues discussed in the podcast are contact lens care and STDs. Contact lens care, the podcast mentions, is stressed every time patients visit their optometrists, but patients often don’t follow through with the recommendations.

Herpes, gonorrhea, syphilis and HIV are some of the STDs mentioned in Schwab’s podcast. Each of the diseases can have effects on a person’s eyes, and in some cases can be the first indication of STD infection, the podcast said.
Students interested in learning more about eye care concerns or listening to the Schwab podcast can hear it at www.geteyesmart.org.

Optometry to return