Parental appreciation

Karli Cadel / Staff Photographer

Participating parents are recognizing the San Diego State Children’s Center staff this week as a sign of their appreciation.

It all began Monday with breakfast for the teachers, followed by today’s flower day, tomorrow’s pizza lunch, Thursday’s dessert day and finally Friday, when the parents’ board will distribute homemade thank you cards to all teachers and administration staff, according to Simon Chapman, leader of this year’s staff appreciation week.

“We work with wonderful staff that love and care for the children,” Robin Judd, Children’s Center director said. “They work every day to provide top quality experience for them.”

The Children’s Center staff is led by Judd and assisted by master teachers, supervisors, SDSU child development students and volunteers.

The parents’ board takes responsibility for different events throughout the year. This year, Chapman teamed with City National Bank to sponsor an entire week of events and food for the Children’s Center staff.

“Many centers do one-day recognitions, but I don’t know very many that do a week,” Judd said with a smile. “I think it is wonderful to have parents show their appreciation for the work our staff does every day.”

The Children’s Center is primarily made up of children of SDSU students, faculty and staff.

There are currently 238 families enrolled, with 256 total children. Of that total, 107 families or 45 percent of the families the center serves are SDSU students. SDSU faculty and staff’s children comprise 31 percent of the enrollment and the remainder of the families are alumni and community families. However, the center’s doors are open to all families.

Because of its success, the Children’s Center wants to expand its establishment and make it a more natural place for children to interact, Judd said.

In April, during the Associated Students’ Green Festival activities, an architectural drawing of the $500,000- to $1 million- plan will be unveiled. The project is set to be finished in five years, but many factors can slow it down or speed it up. The center is hoping to attract many sponsors and material donations.

The center welcomes volunteers and donations and asks the student body to spread the word about the center’s establishment and services. More information can be obtained at http://as.sdsu.edu/child/Centerindex.html or by calling the SDSU Children’s Center at (619) 594-7941.

Parental appreciation