SDSU clean-up crew

Peter Kluch/ Staff Photographer

Because our moms don’t come to college with us, San Diego State students and volunteers made sure they cleaned up after themselves last Saturday.

SDSU’s Good Neighbor Program’s Clean Team set out to clean the College Area streets with about 250 students. They were given trash pickers and recycle bags as they divided into groups.

The Good Neighbor Program was created more than 16 years ago by councilman Kevin Faulconer with the mission to help maintain a good relation between SDSU and College Area residents.

Associated Students Vice President of University Affairs Tim Velasquez, who leads the Good Neighbor Program, said that the program was inactive for a couple of years and that this administration is trying to reactivate it.

“It is designed to show that we do positive things,” he said. “It is a chance to show that we are more than just a big party crowd.”

Students were given incentives to participate, such as the opportunity to win concert tickets, food and community services hours.

“Getting involved in organizations like this help students have a better understanding of living in the college area community,” Velasquez said.

Members from fraternities and sororities, clubs and organizations, athletes, as well as individual students showed up to volunteer.

“As a student athlete I get a unique experience here at SDSU, I am very fortunate and this is a good way to show my gratitude and give back to the community,” captain of the swimming and diving team Kyla Power said.

Siobhan Clark is the chair of the Clean Team, one of the four committees of the Good Neighbor Program.

“I like the result, the after picture,” she said.

Neighbors appreciate cleanup events like this, said Vanessa Ortiz, an SDSU student.

“I think it’s great, I live in the College Area, so I always appreciate the area being as clean as possible,” Ortiz said.

SDSU clean-up crew