Dishing up fine wine and cheese pairings

Maura Ochoa / Staff Photographer

France and Italy aren’t the only places to find quality wines. San Diego wine connoisseurs should be proud of their roots, as South Coast Winery Resort & Spa in Temecula was awarded Best Winery in California two years in a row.

“California has little to prove with wine making,” Dean A. Thomas, the executive chef of South Coast Winery Resort & Spa said. “California-produced wines have already reached high acclaim worldwide.”

For wine-savvy drinkers with tender taste buds and particular palates, wine and cheese pairing can be a delicate procedure. When pairing specific wines with foods, the important idea to keep in mind is balance.

“…Wine does not have to be overly expensive to be good,” Thomas said. “I suggest purchasing various price points for wines. Set some cheese out at room temperature and gather friends who have the same interest. Even pool the costs. Make the experience one surrounded by education, having everyone make personal notes about the tastes and flavors, then discuss as a group to learn from each other.”
So sit down, relax and let the tasting begin.

Red
The pungent aroma of red wine envelops the mouth when paired beautifully with hard, mild-flavored cheeses. Lingering on the tongue the same way the color lingers on the teeth, red wine is known to complement meatier dishes such as lamb, duck, pork or beef.

Pinot noir puts practicality into palates when paired with chèvre, Brie and walnuts. A strong merlot complements Parmesan, Romano and chestnuts while a nice cabernet sauvignon demands cheddar or Gorgonzola cheese. For Syrah enthusiasts, sharp cheddar and Roquefort add a feeling of complexity.

White
Showcased best with stronger flavors and softer cheeses, the rich, citrusy and crisp-tasting white wines are said to be best when poultry and seafood are served.

Feta, chèvre and pine nuts particularly help enhance the sauvignon blanc experience, while Asiago, Havarti and almonds go best with chardonnay. For those who appreciate Riesling, candied walnuts, Havarti and Gouda are a pleasure to pair.

Sparkling and rose
A great gift for any celebration where there will be salad, fresh fruit or creamy desserts, is a crowd-pleasing sparkling wine such as champagne. The festive bubbles are bound to bring a big bang when partnered with mild cheeses or creamy dips.

Fruity, elegant rose wines weave nicely together with hot or peppered dishes such as spicy sausage or blackened fish because the sweet flavor helps to counterbalance the spices.

For those with a passion for ripe Brie or aged cheese, a zinfandel adds a lot of attitude to equalize the flavor.

But don’t worry, if confused by the vast variety, there is still hope.

“In taste and flavor, there are two approaches 8212; complement or contrast,” Thomas said. “Wine’s characteristics along with the cheese will do one of these approaches.”

There will always be advice about which combinations of wine and cheese to choose. But in the end, it all comes down to trial and error and personal preference.

“It is up to the individual to determine which taste and flavor they wish to accomplish with each experience,” Thomas said. “It is just as important to experience what one does not enjoy and why as it is to enjoy.”

For more information about wine and cheese, visit www.vinology.com,www.winespectatorschool.com or check out “Cheese & Wine” by Janet Fletcher.

Editor’s Note: All wine and cheese combinations are suggestions of San Francisco’s Cellar360 wine store.